Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast
    Corie is offline Pink Diamond level (15,000+ posts)

Default Need coat recommendation for RHODE ISLAND winters!

We are moving to Rhode Island (from Texas). Do you
    have any winter coat recommendations?? I'm really
    not sure what type of coat to buy for my kids!

I'm completely at a loss!!

I just keep picturing the kid from "A Christmas Story"
    who had on this huge snowsuit and he can't put his arms down!! :)
    Corie

"A smile is a curve that can set a lot of things straight."
    -fortune cookie

psophia17 is offline Diamond level (5000+ posts)

Default RE: Need coat recommendation for RHODE ISLAND winters!

Check out the squall jackets and such from Lands End (http://www.landsend.com) - I think they had one last year that had sleeves you could extend, but I'm not seeing it at the site right now. I was hoping to get one for DS...phooey.

Petra
    Mother of Two
    Owner of BaDumBums

mariza is offline Emerald level (3000+ posts)

Corie,
    When is the big move? I would try and wait as long as you can to get the best deal. Lands End and LL Bean both have great winter stuff. Also you'll have to check out the Wrentham Village Outlets for good deals. Just in case you haven't googled it yet:
    http://www.premiumoutlets.com/outlet...ting.asp?id=10

I've only been here once since moving back to NE and I can't wait to go back! Once "Thing 2" decides to arrive and is ready for his first major outing this is where we are going!

Mariza
    Mommy to my "Thing 1"
    and soon to arrive "Thing 2"

jess_g is offline Sapphire level (2000+ posts)

I don't know if it is anywhere near where you are moving to but LL Bean is opening a store in Burlington, MA in September. It might be near enough to make the trip. Both LL Bean and Lands End have great winter coats for kids (and adults too).

Jessica.

AddiesMom is offline Platinum level (1000+ posts)

What ages? As DD is still a baby I am a big fan of anything polar fleece. When you wash it stains come out easily and it air-dries in about an hour or so. I have a garage so most times DD is going into a warm car, and since she not playing outside I don't have to dress her like Ralphie's brother. :) I just bought at Children's Place in Wrentham Outlets heavy fleece jackets for $9.99 (less 10% AAA discount). It was such a great deal I got more than one size! They are not lined but perfect to put over a sweater, etc... They come 6 mo to about 4T in tons of boys and girls colors. I also just placed an order for a lot of fleece items from LL Bean. All of the fleece sweatshirts and pants I got were around $15 each. I am big into layering as you go outside and its frigid (excuse me, it can get freakin' frigid), you go inside and its warm, and the car is somehwere in-between!

Another good store for outerwear is the Rugged Bear, they have a location in Cranston, RI and you can order online. http://www.ruggedbear-online.com/
    - Michelle

Addison 11/9/05

Go Red Sox!

starrynight Guest

They won't need snowpants unless they are going to play outside, which I'm sure they will at some point. Although growing up I never did after the age of 4, I remember as a toddler wearing them. I guess mom was more afraid of me getting cold/wet as a toddler than an older kid. As older kids when playing in the snow we just wore 2 pairs of sweats or a pair of sweats over jeans so we didn't get wet/cold too fast we could stay out longer :). Sometimes we wore one layer but that meant coming in sooner.

Boots, hats, gloves are a must and a long jacket with a hood to keep their bum and back of the legs warm. I can't remember if you have carseat age kids, if so go for a land's end jacket or something with just a fleece liner they can wear in their seat and then you can add the outer shell when you are getting out.

If you wait a bit you can get a better deal, for snowpants honestly I would try a thrift shop or ebay, you can get them so cheap because most of the time they are outgrown fast with little wear.

Corie is offline Pink Diamond level (15,000+ posts)

Hi Jackie!

I remember my mom putting the snowpants on us!! She would
    wait until they went on sale at JC Penney's before buying them
    for the next year. In every picture, it looks like I never had a pair of snowpants that matched my jacket. I always had this
    rust color!
    Great idea to buy them on ebay or the thrift shop!

I have a daughter, 4.5 years old and a son, 22 months old.

What kind of boots are you talking about?? Does Land's End
    carry them?? I will definitely look at Land's End for their
    winter coats.

Thanks so much!!
    Corie

"A smile is a curve that can set a lot of things straight."
    -fortune cookie

psophia17 is offline Diamond level (5000+ posts)

Sears generally has a decent stock of LE stuff in stores - I bought myself boots there before we moved to Canada. I wish I could remember where I put them...
    Petra
    Mother of Two
    Owner of BaDumBums

Ceepa is offline Diamond level (5000+ posts)

We just bought snow boots for my 2 year old from LE. I like that they open really wide so I don't have to struggle to get his feet in/out. I picked up some on the overstocks page.

-Ceepa

starrynight Guest

Hi Corie, snow boots. :) Preferably ones that have an insulated or waterproof liner. I see them all the time on Land's End overstocks, I keep looking for rain boots for Liza (my youngest) but all I find are snow boots, cheap too! But they don't have to be that brand, I just mentioned I am finding them just as cheap as off brand and at least they are guranteed. Just something to keep their feet warm and dry, there is a lot of slush/snow and it's so wet sneakers won't cut it! Fleece gloves are better than knit, they wick moisture away.

Columbia is good too, doesn't have to be LE but you want something not too bulky with the seats. Growing up I remember not even being in a carseat past 3 and I remember being in it with a big puffy jacket. So anything used to be fine but of course now we know compression and all. :)

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast