Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast
    Maria K is offline Silver level (200+ posts)

Default Snow suit or coat for a <1 yr old?

DS was born March of '06. Do I need a winter coat or something for him (we live in Chicago)? I feel like that's a dumb question... it's freezing here of course we do! But it's not like he'll be out walking around or playing in the snow at 9 months old. Can't I just layer clothing and wrap him in blankets for the short walk from the house to the car?
    My mother says we need a snow suit. Why, I ask her? "You just do." Typical mom! :+
    - Maria

trumansmom is offline Emerald level (3000+ posts)

Default RE: Snow suit or coat for a <1 yr old?

You definitely need a coat, but probably not a snowsuit. Keep in mind your baby is going to go from non-mobile infant to possibly toddler before the snow melts! (I'm guessing Chicago winters last almost as long as South Dakota winters!)

We had a warm winter coat for DD that we used for everyday, and a fleece bunting/snowsuit thingy we only used a handful of times.

HTH -
    Jeanne
    Mom to Truman 11/01 and Eleanor 4/04

Maria K is offline Silver level (200+ posts)

That does help.
    BTW... is this a stupid question? I'm feeling foolish asking.
    - Maria

trumansmom is offline Emerald level (3000+ posts)

Nope. Not stupid at all!

Jeanne
    Mom to Truman 11/01 and Eleanor 4/04

mommyoftwo Guest

I wouldn't bother with a snowsuit unless you plan on doing activities like sleding. You will however need a coat. I personally like the 4-in-1 or 3-in-1 coats because you can take out the liner for when you don't need quite such a warm coat (makes in a lot less bulky) but you can be nice and cozy when the really cold weather hits. And then, when it starts to warm up a little, you can use the liner part as a spring coat. More bang for the buck IMO. I'm from Illinois originally so I know what the winters are like there. You can get a very reasonably priced one from TCP but there are lots of options.

holliam Guest

What about a fleece one piece thing from LE or LLBean?

Holli

Momof3Labs is offline Pink Diamond level (15,000+ posts)

We are also near Chicago (in the burbs), and DS2 will have a fleece coat and a fleece "snowsuit" for this winter. He won't be playing outside yet, and you need something that isn't puffy or too hot for the car seat. Fleece does the trick.

If we spent most of our time pushing a stroller in the city, I'd get him a warmer snowsuit.
    Single mom to

DS ("twice exceptional") - September 2002
    DS - February 2006
    DD - July 2009
    DD - July 2009

My DD was born the end of Oct. I bought one of those bunting things and never ever used it on her. We live in Pittsburgh so we have some nasty weather but I ended up buying a sherpa coat and wore that on her. She was in an infant carrier whenever we went outside so I always threw blanket over her and she was fine.

Heidi
    Mom to Jillian 10/20/05

octmom is offline Emerald level (3000+ posts)

That's what we used for DS when he was younger. It was great-- not too thick for the car seat and has a long zipper that can be opened so baby doesn't overheat when you have the heat on in the car.

Jerilyn
    DS, Sean 10/03
    DD, Katie 3/06

"Baby makes days shorter, nights longer, home happier, and love stronger."

missy425 Guest

My DD was born in January in Chicago and we lived there until this past July. She spent a lot of time outside all winter at your son's age b/c my husband took her to daycare downtown on the bus in the Baby Bjorn so we had a down snowsuit/bunting thing from REI plus a scarf and hat. She wore the same when we were out in the stroller for errands (with blankets if needed). When we were just out in the car, she either wore a fleece jacket from Patagonia or a slightly heavier winter coat depending on the temperature outside. Not a stupid question at all as I was just as clueless last year! Good luck!

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast