Page 1 of 8 1 2 3 ... LastLast

Default Maybe it's just me....

But does anyone else think it's wierd to dress your little kids in tshirts with skulls on them?

mattiew Guest

Default RE: Maybe it's just me....

Absolutley!!! I also don't like t-shirts with "smart aleck" sayings or glittery "princess" etc; they are only little once and I want them to stay that way.

AbbieF Guest

I totally agree. Not to mention they'll have the rest of their lives to make a statement. Why force them into the political hotseat now? I guess it goes along with the idea of dressing kids like mini adults- which always weirds me out no matter what it is. I don't want my 2 year old in a Madonna-belly shirt. I agree with PP they are little for so short a time, let them enjoy it.

Abbie
    Mom to Maddie 04/04 and Kate 01/06

jennifer_r is offline Platinum level (1000+ posts)

Yea, I agree with all the PPs - I'm not sure why skulls are so popular for little boys right now. And "princess", "baby", etc. - yuk! I want my little ones to look their age. Why rush it? I don't even think it's attractive. Also, alot of those clothes have "attitude" - there'll be plenty of teen years for that.

Jennifer

Mom to:
    Christopher 12/29/89
    Adelaide 8/23/04
    Bronwyn 11/9/05

http://www.gynosaur.com/assets/ribbons/ribbon_garnet_6m.gif[/img][/url]

newmomto3kids Guest

I probably wouldn't put Johnny in a T-shirt with skulls on it, but he does have a little pair of skater shoes that have skulls on them. I love those shoes (they were only $3). He loves pirate stuff and Halloween and thinks the shoes are very cool.
    I just put him in whatever I think is cute, sometimes he looks very little boy, sometimes he looks a little older.
    I would never put my girls in the revealing clothes, or the ones with sayings about boys etc.( I wouldn't put my DS in a "chick magnet" shirt either) But, I think that is different. The revealing clothes sexualize my little girl, which I think is inappropriate. The shirts with the skulls on them have an older theme, but aren't inappropriate, imo.
    Either way, it is interesting to see what other people think about it...

I don't have a problem with skulls, but I have a huge problem with the logo saying shirts. I saw a girl no older than 11 that was wearing a shirt that said SEXY on it. I couldn't believe it! I also do not like shorts or pants that have words written on the butt. Sometimes I walk past the display at Limited Too, and I shudder thinking about what DD will want to wear when she's older.

Off topic, but would it be that hard for Gymboree to have a velour hoodie set that didn't involve a cartoon animal or embellishment of some kind? I know they want to make it so you buy the entire line, but come on!

It doesn't bug me but then again, I have a little boy that really likes pirates, bugs and anything gross. I don't mind the shirts with the smart alecky statements too, as long as they are clean or not sexual in nature. DS wore a shirt last year to his first day of preschool that said "2 Cool 4 School" from the GAP. Loved it! I also got him one that said "Genius in Training". These don't bug me. He has also worn a shirt that said "Prince Charming". I wouldn't put him in anything that was nasty, had swear words or was sexual. But that is just me!
    -Melissa
    Mom to M (2002) & M (2014)

mspersnickity Guest

I think it's just something that started out being funny - because it was unexpected - that has become a trend. And now that it's so common it's lost the unexpectedness that made it mildly amusing in the first place. It can be cute if the art is good, but that's pretty uncommon at this point.

The "sexy" clothes on kids (especially babies) were never, ever cute or funny.

The quippy shirts are sometimes, but rarely, funny. And, again, they've become so common that they are losing their charm.

I don't have a problem with skulls for little kids. I guess if they are gory with blood dripping and have an axe in the skull that would not be good, but then I wouldn't let my teenager wear that one either. (not to school, not around his sister who might be scared by it)

I like dressing Logan like a miniature adult sometimes. Not sexy or revealing clothes. But I think it is cute when she wears jeans and a graphic t-shirt and converse high top sneakers. And I love to see toddler boys in khaki pants and polo shirts. It's cute!

That is one reason I like Naartjie. Their clothes go from size 6 months up to 9 years, so it's not a baby-ish look.

I would totally put Logan in a skull shirt.

...Karen
    ds 1991
    dd 2003
    dd 2008 now home from Taiwan!

hudsonam is offline Platinum level (1000+ posts)

I actually almost bought the skull DJ shirt from Mini Boden for my 20 month old DS, but I wasn't sure if he should be wearing a skull or not. I liked it though, and I like the Vans with the skulls on them. My DH is more bothered by that then me, which is mainly why I didn't get that shirt. I like putting my son in clothes that look less baby-ish and more grown-up. I think he looks cute. :) Like those rocker tees I posted about yesterday. The only thing keeping me from ordering one yet is the fact that they're very expensive. I kind of like the way Angelina Jolie dresses her son.

Page 1 of 8 1 2 3 ... LastLast