Page 8 of 8 FirstFirst ... 6 7 8

Default RE: Maybe it's just me....

>Why does society insist on building one gender up
    >by knocking the other down?!

I HEARD that.

>His take on skulls on children's clothing is that you might say you're doing it so your kiddos can be a vehicle for irony. They're never too young for a good joke.

Umm, I don't use my kids as a vehicle for anything and I don't dress them up as a joke on the world.

You know, I totally stand by my whole say what you want as long as you can back it up and not letting people you don't know get you riled up. But, I'm kinda having a hard time doing that right now,lol. Maybe it's because I'm ready to pop or something but I think I need to tap out of this thread before my bp goes up anymore than it already is, hahaha. Peace.

1ceng1 is offline Silver level (200+ posts)

My DD wore the Janie and Jack sweatsuit with Baby on the butt when she was under the age of 1. I in no way ever thought it was sexualizing her. I never thought anyone would see it like that until I read about it on here. Why would it even cross someone's mind that there was anything sexual about it? She's a baby with a big diaper butt with the word baby on it because, well, she's a baby. Babies have been wearing tights and bloomers with ruffles on their butts for ages.

If there is something to be uncomfortable about, it's someone using the word "prostitots". Why on earth would anyone compare an innocent baby to a hooker? Now that is disturbing!

Saartje is offline Sapphire level (2000+ posts)

>If there is something to be uncomfortable about, it's someone
    >using the word "prostitots". Why on earth would anyone compare
    >an innocent baby to a hooker? Now that is disturbing!

Yes, the prostitot phenomenon is disturbing. The word itself isn't, IMO. "Prostitot" generally refers to preteen and teenage girls under the legal age of consent who dress in inappropriately adult clothing. (Miniskirts, thong underwear, push-up bras... any one thing might be okay, but taken together, yes, they can look like something a prostitute might wear.) Unfortunately, this style of clothing does get marketed at much younger kids; I read a little while back (was it here?) about Target selling padded bras that were being marketed at six-year-olds.

I don't have an issue with you dressing your daughter in something that said "Baby" on the butt. "Sweet Thang" or "Cute Chick" I would have a hard time seeing as equally neutral, though. ;)

I guess I love my girls' shirts because they answer the question for me when people hound me about "are you going to try for a boy?" or "don't you wish you had a boy?" or "just girls, no boys?" Um, no, we just have girls and I couldn't be happier.

I guess I never read into it as being so offensive to boys but, duh, it is. I just asked dh if they were offensive and he said they were too. Oops.

And yes, I would feel differently, obviously if I had a boy. But I don't have boys and I really get annoyed by all the strangers in the world who assume that my girls aren't good enough because they aren't boys. Someone once held my newborn Meredith and sighed, "too bad this one wasn't a boy." That makes a mama bear's hackles rise and stay up.
    ~~AngelaS~~
    Mommy to 3 girls: A, G and M. (15, 11 and 8.5)

The education of all children, from the moment that they can get along without a mother's care, shall be in state institutions at state expense.
    – Karl Marx, "The Communist Manifesto"

Moneypenny is offline Sapphire level (2000+ posts)

Why do people assume you need at least one of each gender? My good friend, who had one boy, found out his wife was pregnant with another boy. I said, "Oh, they'll be such great buddies!" He got all choked up and said, "All my mom could say was "Oh, that's too bad."" Hrmph.

Susan
    mama to my cutie pie, Avery
    http://www.gynosaur.com/assets/ribbons/ribbon_sapphire_24m.gif[/img][/url]

Saartje is offline Sapphire level (2000+ posts)

That makes sense to me. :) Thanks for explaining.

Page 8 of 8 FirstFirst ... 6 7 8