Page 2 of 8 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 ... LastLast

Default RE: Maybe it's just me....

I love the rocker tees that were posted yesterday. I pretty much could have written this post, I agree with you 100%. Skulls can be fun in a mini-punk way, but not the gorey ones. I am not a fan of little girl tees that have words or phrases that are suggestive, though the "princess" seems more innocuous, especially since it seems almost every 3 year old has a princess phase.

I also love the way Angelina Jolie dresses her kids. Zahara has been photographed wearing SKRs that are thought of as boy style shoes, but she still wears dresses. Maddox seems to have that little rocker guy style but he still looks like a kid.

Well, *I* don't think it's weird. But if you, or anyone else does then that's cool. Ya know everyone has different tastes. I don't look like any of the other moms on my block. I don't go out of the way to do so, I just do. I dress Peyton and will dress this baby in things that *I* think are cute.

Peyton has a lot of "alternative" clothing like Inky Dink, but he's also got some Hanna. He has shirts with spiders,bugs, guitars, and skulls on them.

And I ordred a totally sweet pink and black argyle sweater with a pink skull on it in case this baby is a girl *crosses fingers*.

As a joke for DH (whose an old fuddy duddy :P), I dressed Peyton up in khakis, a polo shirt, and a little cap last father's day. Now THAT looked weird! LOL

LMAO--I was just saw the Angelina talk. I have a SIL that everytime she sees us says "Who do you think your kid is, Maddox?" LOL LOL :7

JMS is offline Sapphire level (2000+ posts)

OT: Karen, I think your new avatar of Loagn is beautiful.. I love that type of shot. :)
    JMS
    Mommy to DD "HH" 2004
    and DS1 "MH" 2005
    & DS2 "JJH" - My very Irish baby!

sdbc Guest

I don't have a problem with it as long as the child isn't scared of skulls. I mean, a skull is natural, just like a flower or whatever. It's not really my taste, though.

Maybe kids who wear skull shirts will grow up to be brain surgeons.

Sue, mommy to Aurora (Rory) born 5/13/04

Melanie is offline Red Diamond level (10,000+ posts)

Yeah, I don't care for it either or baby onesies that say "My Boyfriend is out of town." However plenty of people do.
    Boy - 10 years, Girl - 6 Years Old!, (What am I still doing here?! LOL) Dog - Eternal Puppy , Me - Done .

>I think it's just something that started out being funny -
    >because it was unexpected - that has become a trend. And now
    >that it's so common it's lost the unexpectedness that made it
    >mildly amusing in the first place. It can be cute if the art
    >is good, but that's pretty uncommon at this point.
    >
    >The "sexy" clothes on kids (especially babies) were never,
    >ever cute or funny.
    >
    >The quippy shirts are sometimes, but rarely, funny. And,
    >again, they've become so common that they are losing their
    >charm.
    Just want to say I totally agree!

ITA. Though I was *thisclose* to get DS a shirt that said "My dad is a stud", it was just the $35 price tag that stopped me, not any moral considerations :)

Jenn98 is offline Platinum level (1000+ posts)

For me it's a fine line. I like to dress DD in what a PP called "mini-adult" clothes. By that I mean, jeans and tshirts, or a little skirt, tights and a sweater but not rompers and one piece baby outfits. That's just my style. But I avoid anything that is sexulaized. That includes shirts with little tucks in the front (a little gathering that would fall right between a woman's breasts), or anything that says "princess" or anything sexually suggestive. My annoyance with the princess stuff is that it's everywhere. I'm annoyed with girls clothing in general right now because it's all pastel pink with kittens or flowers on it - yuck! It's hard to find stuff (that's reasonabley priced) that is more neutral and not so gender sterotyped. I like her to wear pink cause she looks good in it, but no more kittens, please!

She does have a few alternative shirts. She has an iPod shirt and a little onesie with a rocking chair that says "Rock On." I found it amuzing because rocking is how we've gotten her to sleep since she was born. We also have a t-shirt a friend gave us that says "I throw tantrums" with a pic of a water skiier on it (I guess a tantrum is a type of waterskiing trick.)

I guess my vote would be that I like funky and fun but not sexualized at all. Skulls? Would have to depend on the shirt, but we are kinda preppy here, so probably not.
    Jen

DD#1 is 7 years old
    DD#2 is 6 year old

SWMatthes Guest

There's a great line called "Beautiful Futures". Their slogan is "Everything is Possible" and they have designs that promote kids' dreams. They have designs for boys and girls, and they go up to 6T in most designs.

I was given one of the "One Day We Will Have World Peace" shirts as a shower gift, and have purchased them as gifts for all my friends who are expecting or who have little ones.

How's this for a nice image: a whole bunch of little kids wearing "One Day We Will Have World Peace" shirts. What a nice alternative to all that mature before their time stuff!

From their website (www.beautifulfutures.com):

"Playful, fun and inspiring clothing. Celebrating the dreams of our children while reminding people of all ages that Everything Is Possible".

"Do you remember when you were little and you didn't just think you could do anything, you KNEW you could do anything. Maybe you knew you'd be a Rock Star? Maybe you knew you'd be President? Or maybe you knew you'd be a Race Car Driver? Beautiful Futures celebrates that 'knowing' we are all born with; the one that tells us, 'Everything is Possible.' Often the paths we travel in life cause us to forget this simple message. Spend some time in the presence of a child and you will quickly be reminded....The multi cultural animated characters I created to convey my 'Everything is Possible' philosophy live on 100% Yummy Soft Interlock cotton rompers and raglans. The colors I've chosen are bright, cheerful and I hope to inspire a child's natural creativity and sense of fun."

If you decide to purchase shirts from their site, let me know--I have some codes!

Best,

Sima
    proud mommy of DS Teddy, 3/8/05

barbarhow Guest

As the mother of the infamous pirate Captain Jack (Sparrow, Calico, Blackbeard-depending on the day), I don't think it is weird at all. I much prefer it to Nascar logos or some other things on the market. We love playing pirates at home. Pirates are a pretty fascinating part of our history. No problem here.
    Off to order the pirate pjs from MB. :-)
    Barbara-mom to Jack 3/27/03, a Red Sox fan
    and Anna 5/12/05, my little Yankee fan!

Page 2 of 8 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 ... LastLast