Page 2 of 8 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 ... LastLast
    mapg is offline Gold level (500+ posts)

Default RE: Reader Poll: Tell us your favorite baby clothing brands!

Best Bets-- Hanna Andersson, Naartjie and Gymboree. Of the three, Hanna Andersson has the most consistent sizing and the seems are incredible. Gymboree stuff holds up really well and fits tall, thin kids. The Gymbucks gimmicks and lousy customer service (they must treat their employees like crap) are the main problems with Gymboree. They do have great sales, once you get the hang of them. Naartjie is phone order only, but the customer service is awsome and the clothing is really neat. My daughter gets so much attention in her Naartjie. Sizing is all over the place but you can ask how something is running and get a real answer.
    Good but not great-- Gap, Old Navy. It looks too big kiddish in little girls. And Gap full price is high. Children's place-- great sales, quality is hit or miss. Carter's sleepers are the best for day to day stuff. Ralph lauren--too high full price.
    Skip it-- Dillard's house brands, hit or miss quality, bottoms tend to be way too full. customer Service is not their strong point. Laura Ashley-- too high for the quality. Zoodles, cute prints but way too high priced for all that polyester.
    MA

Best Bets:

Hanna Andersson - zippers and long johns are the only pj's my son wears. they wash wonderfully and look brand new even after 50 washes, in my experience. cute well made infant basics. i'm not a huge fan of their other stuff for toddlers/older boys though, just not my style.

Geox - followed a recommendation from the site and love them. well made, wear very well. a little pricy

Lands End - well made, classic clothes, comfortable, great outerwear

LL Bean - great outerwear, well made.

Boden - soft fabrics, wash well, cute stuff

Robeez - very durable. a necessity in my opinion. i bought one of the shirts they just started selling and it is a nice substantial knit and well made.

Columbia fleece jackets - wash and wear well. look brand new after many washings

Mulberribush - we are new to this brand, but love the stuff we bought for winter. washes well and is adorable.

Good but not Great:

Baby Gap - I found their stuff to wash well and hold up well. Love their lined jeans for crawlers. love their overalls, especially the jersey lined ones for winter.

Carters - love the onesies - very substantial knit. Got a lot of use out of sleepers when ds was not yet mobile. sometiems find cute well made tops and pants but the pants tend to run large in the waist and short in length.

Gymboree - cute, seem to be well made, but very over priced IMO. i only really buy tee shirts and sweaters from them and match them with less expensive cords and jeans from other places. get more milage that way since you don't have the matchy matchy outfits.

Stride Rite - good shoes for the most part

Children's place - some things have been great, some have been really poor. I've had good luck with cords and overalls.
    crew cuts by JCrew - just got a few items and they seem well made. just haven't had enough time to fully assess them

Old Navy - good prices, but quality can be hit or miss. Some stuff like jeans and cords have been great. tops are not consistently made well.

Target's Genuine kids by osh kosh - in general i've been very impressed. cute stuff, holds up pretty well. does shrink a bit.

levi strauss from target - i've found these jeans to fit well on my skinny boy and held up well in the wash.

Skip it:

gerber onesies - thin, unsnaps too easily, unfinished hems.

koala baby - poorly made, shrink a lot, sometimes leaving a top too short but plenty wide.

shoo shoes - didn't hold up well, but i think they went out of business

circo at target - poorly made, thin knits

carter's line at target (can't recall the name) - very thin cotton onesies, poorly made

Best Bets
    Hanna Andersson -- I always swear it's too expensive and never again (except for the baby coats which are to die for) but DD would wear it every day if she could, and it fits forever. I do wait for sales.

Hedgehog -- cute and not expensive.

Good but not great
    Lands End -- runs small, often doesn't have anything I like, but when there's something I do like it's sturdy and it fits.
    Gymboree -- usually doesn't have anything I can stand, but can be very cute. The few Gymboree clothes we get are real hits with DD.
    The Childrens' Place -- You really have to pick and choose, but the socks are great.
    Preschoolians -- some of them wore out too fast, but mostly we loved them.

Best bets

Hanna Andersson:pricey, yes, but the way they are cut you get more wear out of them than anything else. DD has been in size 80 zippers for nine months now and they still have a bit of room. Plus they wash well and don't fade. Even at full price, I think they are generally worth it, not other brand lasts as long.

Carters: Great prices, nice styling, many of their things mix and match and they wash well. I actually notice less fading with them than other more spendy brands. The outlet is the best place to buy--they are overpriced at BRU and other stores.

OshKosh: Same as Carters, but the styling and quality are a notch or two above. What is the name of the line they have for Target?? Whatever it is, it is adorable and wears very well.

Circo, Faded Glory and whatever the house brand is at Kohls: Great for basics--maybe not the cutest, but the prices are wonderful and there is always something on sale. Target has the cutest casual holiday outfits and because they are so inexpensive, I don't mind if we only get a few wearings out of it.
    (The problem for me is that I can't get any of these online. It is so hard to get to a store as everything is at least 40 minutes away, so I do most of my shopping online.)

Gap: I like baby gap, but I just never seem to think of it when shopping online. They have nice styles and great quality, they are a little spendy though.

Zutano: Adorable clothes, great quality, decent prices--just all around good.

Hedgehog: Same as Zutano--just adorable!

Good/not great

Gymboree: We have a lot of this right now. If you know how to work the sales, you can get things at a good price. I would never pay full price though, the prices are close to Hanna and the quality is not that great. I want it to be better than it is, but the darker colors fade faster than Carters, OshKosh, and many of the other, cheaper brands. They are well constructed, though, and I love their leggings/swing top combos, they fit my daughter well. They know what they're doing with their sales, though, I always get sucked in.

Children's Place: The quality is not that bad, but some of their styling is too much for me. They have nice basics and great prices, but their website is terrible and that keeps me from ordering--it takes too long and is frustrating.

Skip it

Old Navy: For the price, you can get much cuter and better quality clothes at Carters outlets or Target/Kohls. Every once in a while something will be nicer than expected but for the most part the clothes don't hold up. Except, they have the best socks, hands down--and their bathing suits are nice too.

Radosti is offline Emerald level (3000+ posts)

Best Bets:

BabyGap - awesome clothing and wonderful sale prices. The clothing washes extremely well and looks almost brand new after many washes.

Gymboree - I love the boys clothing. It's some of the cutest stuff around (again, only buy on sale). However, I HATE HATE HATE HATE HATE their customer service, they must be the most rude bunch in the business. I actually filed a Better Business report today because of the horrid service and inability to get a resolution to what would be a very simple problem with any other retailer.

Old Navy - every piece of clothing we've had from Old Navy has been as good as the babyGap. The selection isn't as good, but the quality is great.

Good But not Great:

Carter's - I still buy this brand. Sometimes, I am pleasantly surprised, but just as many times I am dissapointed. The boy selection is terrible. The sleepers are way too tight and thus not true to size.

Children's Place - their stretchies/zippers footed sleepers are a MUST in our house. It does appear that their sizes run very small (even the weights on the tags confirm this). DS can still wear some BabyGap 18-24 months, all of the Gymboree 18-24 months, all carter's 24 months, but only 2T in CP.

SKIP It:

Circo - Target brand. Poor washing quality. I feel like I've wasted my money every time. The boys clothing is far from cute by the way.

Disney store - I've only purchased sleepers and a baby towel here and was shocked by the poor quality. DS was only 2 weeks old for last Christmas, so we bought him a holiday fleece sleeper to wear to my in-laws. The treads (don't know why they were on a newborn infant sleeper anyway) came off the feet during the pre-wear wash. The baby bath towel was TINY!!!

I've bought the Disney store Robeez knock-offs and they are also pretty terrible and don't stay up.
    DS1 12/05
    DS2 06/08
    DD 11/09

Created by MyFitnessPal.com - Nutrition Facts

BEST BETS

Baby Gap - love their jeans - they are the only brand so far that always fits over DD's cloth diapers. Consistently good quality, good value when stuff goes on sale, which is frequent. Coupons are always floating around.

Hanna Andersson - our Hannas are being washed every week because I always reach for them! Great quality, super soft, can get good prices by shopping sales and the outlets.

GOOD BUT NOT GREAT

Old Navy - I bought lots of clothing from them when DD was born, but rarely do now. Their quality is not consistent - I had one outfit this summer that faded horribly and unevenly in the first wash. Their sizing runs smaller than Gap's. I don't find their clearance prices to be great, and their clothing is often too trendy, to the point of being impractical (ie. In mid-October they were still selling mostly short sleeved shirts here - and I don't live in a warm city)

Childrens Place - Some stuff is great, some not so much.

Sprockets - available at Mervyn's, we have gotten a few things from them lately and been quite pleased with the quality! Time will tell if it continues to wash well.

Carters - my favorite for white onesies

Circo - cute and cheap but quality is so-so.

Naartjie - love the style, don't love sizing inconsistencies and no online ordering.

SKIP IT

Gerber - rough cotton, shrinks, not worth the $$

Peek-a-Babe - my MIL buys this for DD and it only looks cute until you wash it the first time, then looks old. Its cheap but not even worth the price.

Allison
    Mama to DD 11/05

amp Guest

Currently love:

Gymboree
    Mini Boden
    Naartjie
    Keedo
    Mulberribush

For babies and newborns I loved Carters sleepers and playsuits though.

dules Guest

FYI Since last Christmas the Children's Place has taken over the clothing lines at the Disney store. So if you like the TCP pajamas etc., they are the same there. They also fixed the sizing weirdness.

Mary

I'm the mother of a twelve month old son and a girl due in January.

Right now my boy destroys clothes so value is important to me. Current favorites are:

Target circo brand--great for daycare and around the house play wish that they had more selection though

Carters: I live near an outlet. The play clothes are adorable and well made. He lives in the footed sleepers which can also be found at Costco.

Children's Place: good lightweight pjs in larger sizes. I buy lots of basics when they have their additional 50% off sale prices

Gymboree: If I need something special, I usually shop here. The pants fit my skinny boy best. I have a hard time finding boys clothes that I like, but it seems like I can always find a current line to fall in love with. Too expensive at regular price, but I can always seem to find a sale. I don't get as caught up in gymbucks or price adjustments, but I know lots of people have trouble with CS. Some of their staff in b&m stores aren't well trained and have given wrong info about sales.

Naartjie: girls lines are absolutely adorable, not so thrilled with boys. I live near B&M store so I don't deal with e-mail or phone orders but stores seem to do well with shipping .

Hit or miss

Baby Gap: I have found some great bargains on the clearance rack. Also, the under 7 lbs size is good for newborns; my son was too small for most other brands for the first few months after he came home (and he was full term)

Old Navy: I haven't been thrilled with their boy styles this year, and they cost more than Target for comparable basics.

Babystyle: really miss the baby softest line. they changed it, jacked up the prices and I don't like it as much. Best place for Halloween costumes though.

Christine W

Good Bets
    Hanna Andersson: I was skeptical at first but am now a believer. DD has worn the same wiggle pants from 1 month old till now (nearly 9 months)and they show NO signs of wear. They have never stained or pilled. The dressed are very high quality too. And I love the marshmallow pullovers--keep dd so warm. The only thing I am not a fan of is their zipper. I know many here love them, after buying 4 of them I have to say that I don't understand the appeal. They are hard to change diapers in and not warm enough for winter wear. I would much rather have DD in a onsie and wiggle pants.

Baby Gap: Love the side snap or snap front onsies especially for newborns. It is so nice not having to place the onsie over baby's head. I would put this as a must have for every new mom. Baby Gap washes well, wears well (doesn't stain), is soft & cute. One of the nicest lines for litle boys. Can get great sales at outlets or sales.

Baby Lulu: My daughter gets complements every time she wears a Baby Lulu outfit. If you are looking for something special this brand will not dissappoint. The rompers and dresses she has look brand new after much wear (please note that I line dry all my dd's clothing). The only item that showed wear was her bathing suit which faded from the pool.

Jacadi: Beautful heirloom quality clothing. Very expensive but can get good deals at their outlet mall in Aurora, IL. (They will do mail orders if you call.) European styles are slimmer cut which works well from long, lean babies.

Catamini: Insanely expensive but really cute. Can often find pieces at discounters like Marshalls and TJ Maxx.

Strasburg: Beautiful special occassion clothing. They also make very nice hairbows. Outlets will do phone orders and their prices are 30% off cataloug prices.

Victoria Kids/ Biscotti/ Bebemonde: Expensive, but beautiful boutique clothing. Worth looking into for special occassions.

Kate Mack: Great winter coats! Not only very fashionable but warm. Try ebay for smaller sizes as they are often worn only 1-2 times. Note: Coats appear to run large.

Good but not Great

Ralph Lauren/Polo: Style is really nice bu tthe quality is fair. Fades in wash and sizing runs small.

Naartjie: Good basics with a little bit of a funky flair. The lack of an online ordering site can make ordering a bit of a pain. Items wear well but sizing is inconsistant.

Gymboree: Clothing is cute when worn as a set. Will always get complements when wearing it. Washes well but quality not as high as it should be for the retail price. Buy ONLY when on sale--then you can get items for $5-$10 a piece.

Pottery Barn Kids: Washes well and holds up to staining. Very soft fabrics but pricey.

Carters: OK quality & price. For Carter's full price can get cuter items at Gymboree on sale.

Pumpkin Patch: Really like the clothing style & quality but it is very hard to locate the brand (especially in non-layette sizes).

Skip It

Babystyle: Their "softest" line of clothing is not worth it. The quality is lacking, the clothing stains and sizing/ cut of the clothing is off. One nice item though is the idea of a side snap onsie.

Gerber: Clothing is cheap quality. One exception is the side snap long sleeve t-shirts. DD lived in these for the first 2 months and I can not say enough how wonderful they were. It didn't matter that the fabric was thin because she was swaddled. I would highly reccommend those to others.

Great Accessories:
    Bla Bla Baby hat & booties: Wash well and so darling.
    Strasburg Children's hairbows.
    Also, ebay seller Lizzy Loops has great hairbows that don't slip on baby's fine hair. She even offers monogrammed bows.
    Tumpette socks & tights: One of the greatest accessories ever. Perfect for the tiniest baby.

Shoes:
    Bobux/Robeez: Have both brands and love them equally.
    Pedipeds: DD loves these shoes. You would think that they would fall off when she crawls but they don't! Great for special occassions as they have a black patent leather mary jane.
    Amelia
    DD 5.5, DS 2.5, #3 due 3/12

Page 2 of 8 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 ... LastLast