Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Default How do you organize your dc's closet/drawers?

I need to organize my dd's clothing somehow and I don't even know where to start... right now entire outfits aren't being worn before she outgrows them because they get stuffed at the back of a drawer. Is it better to hang everything so it can be seen?

I have way, way, way too many clothes for my dd but that could be a whole seperate topic. I know this is such a silly question but I'm sure some of you have been there ;)
    TIA for any ideas!

katiesmommy Guest

Default RE: How do you organize your dc's closet/drawers?

The way we do it is, everything that is nice, or part of a set/outfit, goes into the closet. Everything else goes into drawers. I got a large dresser just so I could do it this way, but we have one drawer for socks and underthings, one for onesies, one for pajamas, one for tops, one for bottoms, and ond for everything else. The closet is organized by season, then it goes, dresses in the front, outfits in the middle, and one pieces in the back. I suppose if I was going to put everything in the closet I'd get one of those things that hangs so I could put bottoms on the bottom and tops on the top, then one pieces, sets, and dresses on one side of that thing.

smkinc is offline Silver level (200+ posts)

I've found hanging everything to be the way to go, that way you can easily see what you have. When my DS was a baby I had everything lined up in terms of actual size (as sizing varied so much some 0-3 outfits were as big as small 6-9). Then I had a bin at the bottom of the closet. Once he outgrew the outfit, it would get tossed in the bin. About every 3 months I'd go through and pull additional items that didn't fit, and replenish the closet with buy-ahead items. Now that he wears clothes multiple seasons, I line up everything by item (eg long sleeve shirts, pants, ss shirts, etc). That way I can see how much of everything he has--it's a good way to determine if you need anything (eg SS shirts as the weather's getting warmer).

HTH,

Mary
    Mom to J. Feb. '03
    Homestudy Complete for #2, now just waiting...

>I've found hanging everything to be the way to go, that way
    >you can easily see what you have. When my DS was a baby I
    >had everything lined up in terms of actual size (as sizing
    >varied so much some 0-3 outfits were as big as small 6-9).
    >Then I had a bin at the bottom of the closet. Once he outgrew
    >the outfit, it would get tossed in the bin. About every 3
    >months I'd go through and pull additional items that didn't
    >fit, and replenish the closet with buy-ahead items. Now that
    >he wears clothes multiple seasons, I line up everything by
    >item (eg long sleeve shirts, pants, ss shirts, etc). That way
    >I can see how much of everything he has--it's a good way to
    >determine if you need anything (eg SS shirts as the weather's
    >getting warmer).
    >
    >HTH,
    >
    >Mary
    >Mom to J. Feb. '03
    >Homestudy Complete for #2, now just waiting...

This is exactly what I have done as well.
    I also have a section on her closet for next season's clothing and clothes in the next size that I have bought ahead.

gatorsmom is offline Pink Diamond level (15,000+ posts)

We hang up everything except his socks and hats. I have a Prince Lionheart Closet Cubby Plus for both my sons' closets. It gives you extra hanging space in their closet. This has really helped me alot:

http://www.greatbeginningsonline.com...&ITEM_ID=17813

Also, this will help you sort the clothes into outfits she's almost outgrown into ones she'll soon fit into. At least, that's how I do it.

oh, btw, don't let the picture fool you. You can hang A LOT of clothes on that thing. It's pretty sturdy. HTH!

Lisa
    Mom to Gator July 2003
    And Cha-Cha July 2005

C99 is offline Diamond level (5000+ posts)

I only have 8 outfits per season for my DD, so it's a bit more manageable. My DD has a small walk-in closet. I keep her dresser on the right, with hanging storage above it, although most of her dresses, cardigans and jackets are hung on the bar on the left side of the closet. Her dresser has 2 small top drawers and 4 large drawers. The top large drawer holds onesies and PJs, the second to top drawer holds folded outfits, and the third drawer holds folded outfits for the upcoming season (currently spring/summer). The bottom drawer is currently storage. I also keep a couple of GLIS storage bins from IKEA on a shelf above the bar on the left side of the closet. One bins holds clothes for the following season (fall/winter) and the other holds outgrown clothes that need to be sorted and/or brought down to basement storage.

My DS' wardrobe is primarily separates, with a bunch of shirts and fewer pants, and he picks out his clothes and dresses himself. He has a very small room, and although his closet is long, it's only accessible from one door. I keep an ANTONIUS wire drawer unit in the doorway to the closet. He uses the bottom 4 drawers for underwear/socks/bathing suits; PJs; tops; and bottoms. I use the top 4 drawers for clothes for the upcoming seasons, spare sheets and even some storage of mom clothes. I keep anything that needs to be hung up on the bar on either side of the drawer unit.

HTH
    Caroline, mama to DS 01/03, DD 05/05, DS 04/07
    http://littleshoulders.blogspot.com
    "Now that you're here, the word of the Lorax seems perfectly clear. UNLESS someone like you cares a whole awful lot, nothing is going to get better. It's not." -- Dr. Seuss

We keep the kids' clothes on shelves in the closet. The shelves are long and skinny and we then use shelf dividers to sort out pants, shorts, L/S shirts, etc. Unlike with drawers, we can see everything in the piles because they are open. And shelf dividers are inexpensive, which is a bonus, because it seems our organization needs change every year or so!

We put underwear, socks and other small items in baskets.

Laurel
    Mama to Jack 6/02 and Maddy 12/04

Babywearing education in Napa, CA

clc053103 is offline Emerald level (3000+ posts)

Yes- exactly what Mary said! ;-)

maestramommy is offline Pink Diamond level (15,000+ posts)

Okay, for all of her dresses, regardless of size, they hang in the closet. She doesn't have that many so I don't lose track. Clothes that are current are in the top drawer, clothes that are soon to follow are in the 2nd drawer. Clothes she's outgrown are put in plastic tubs, grouped by type (onesies, jammies, bibs, etc) in plastic bags. In the beginning I was super organized and labeled the bags by size, but I've stopped doing that since she was about 9 months or so.

Clothes that will be too big for many months are in either the 3rd drawer, or in bags in the closet. Some are gifts, so they just stay in the gift bag. Some are hand-me-downs, and also stay in their respective bags.

The tough part for me is remembering to check the lower drawers. I was thinking I needed to buy more overalls for DD because she'd outgrown 3 pairs, then one day while rummaging in the 2nd drawer for something else I came across a 2ndhand pair MIL sent to me that I'd completely forgotten. They're a wee bit long, but otherwise are great.
    Melinda
    Mommy to
    The Gift 10/01/05
    Elfgirl 5/25/07
    Sparky 6/27/09

"Sunset to Twilight, Our Family's Journey with Alzheimer's." http://maestramommi.blogspot.com/

You guys are right, hanging is the way to go. I spent amost of today buying hangers and an extra rod thing, then trying to get everything on the hangers with my 2yo dd's help.
    I hung everything that's a dress or part of an outfit. Then all her hats and shoes sit on the racks above the rods. In her dresser I put pj's and onsies in one big drawer, play clothes / tees and pants in another big drawer, then socks, babylegs, tights in each of the small drawers.

Phew, what a tedious job that was. Her closet actually looks like a cute little boutique, however, now that I can actually see how much too much she has I am also even a bit appalled and will stop buying so much!

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast