Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast

Thread: Pumps?

Vikki Guest

Default Pumps?

I am an expecting first time mom -5 weeks and counting! While I plan to breastfeed, I plan to either rent or purchase a pump to allow for flexibility and to enable my husband to participate in feeding via bottles. Several people have suggested that I rent the pump from the hospital, others have suggested buying the high-end Medela pump.

Opinions?

caramia2000 Guest

Default RE: Pumps?

I purchased the Purely Yours Pump and it has been terrific. Dual pumps, not as obtrusive as the larger bags, love that it also works with batteries.

moconnor Guest

I have the Medela pump in style - retails for $250 (couldn't find it cheaper anywhere, I think Medela won't let it retail for less). I am just about to return to work, but have used my pump steadily for the past 3 weeks (mimicking the daily 3/4 pumpings I'll have to do at work and getting my breast-loving baby used to a bottle - not any easy task) and was using it at least once every day or so prior to that just to get a stockpile in the freezer (great when you're engorged and have all that excess milk and can also often use some relief!).

I have never tried another pump, but am very satisfied with the Medela. The only drawback is that it doesn't operate on batteries (actually, it does, but the rechargeable battery pack is $150 which for most people means it doesn't operate on batteries!). I did, however, purchase the car lighter adaptor which I have used several times. I didn't really look into others since a friend and a colleague both had the pump in style and both liked it. My friend had a older version (about 3 years) so she was impressed when she saw the new speed control. There are 2 ways to control the pumping: strength (equivalent to how hard your baby sucks) and speed (equivalent to how rapidly your baby sucks). Nothing more to it than that. Yes, it is bulky, but now that I have a baby I'v gotten used to shlepping!

Good luck with the decision and the baby!

Jessie Guest

I have the Medela Pump In Style, and have been back at work for 6 months now, part-time. I began using it the first week I was home from the hospital because my son had problems latching on at first. Now I do it once a day at work.

I like this pump very much, but have heard good things about the Purely Yours from 2 mom friends who work full time. PY is a little lighter, I think. But I also read it's noisier than PIS. It didn't take too long to get used to schlepping the PIS back and forth, and sometimes, I just leave it at work and bring the parts back and forth only. I use the Medela bags to pump into, so I don't have to wash out/sterilize containers on top of everything else.

I would advise, however, that no matter what brand you choose, you wait to buy until the baby comes and you are sure that you will be BF long term. Rent one in the meantime, should you need it right away after baby comes, or borrow one from a friend first to see if you are comfortable with it. Most moms go in with good intentions, planning to BF and I think that is great, but I had a lot of difficulty at first, with a multitude of problems that began with my son's latching problem, continued into really bad mastitis, and so forth. I was able to stick with it, but I know plenty of moms who bought the expensive pump and did not continue BF more than 1-3 months for one reason or another. It's a considerable cost, after all, and you cannot return it to the store if it does not work out.

Good luck!

Suey68 Guest

I agree that you should wait to buy an expensive pump. Buy an Avent Isis to use initially -- it's about $40 at Target and is great!! I tried to use it when I went back to work, but found that I really need an electric pump. I'm going to buy the Ameda Purely Yours, which I found for about $150 on the Internet. It's cheaper than the Medela AND it can take batteries, which I can see being very useful when there's no outlet. Also, I've talked to many people who love it. But, I've heard only great things about Medela also, if that's the route you want to take.

Best of luck!! Breastfeeding is tough at first, but try to stick with it, if you can. If not, DON'T feel guilty -- there are too many other things to worry about!!

Sue

Mitch826 Guest

Hi Vikki-
    I'm in the same situation you are. After doing some research, including talking to friends who have pumped, I decided to go with the Ameda Purely Yours.
    I found it on the internet (ebay) for $138 incl shipping. It seems to have a lot of features that the others don't have.
    Hope this helps.
    Michelle

wrtang Guest

As others have suggested, best to wait and buy one when you know you'll need it. Most hospitals with lactation consultants will likely be able to get you a free one week rental of a good electric pump from a local vendor. Bosom Buddies provides that in the Denver Area. My wife uses the Medela Mini electric for occassional pumping so that I can participate in feeding our baby and to relieve engorgement. She feels it works as well as the larger Medela pump at the hospital and the rental unit. Only much noisier. Also the hospital will let you keep the breast shields you use and they are interchangeable with all Medela model pumps so you will have spares.

lchui Guest

You've got some really good suggestions from all the moms who posted. Definitely rent before you buy, or get the Avent Isis hand pump for practice. If you'd like to save $, consider shopping in Canada. You can get the Medela Pump In Style or the Ameda Egnell Purely Yours for $300 cdn, which is just a bit over $200 US. A Cdn website that carries them is www.kidalog.com. I've done some research and decided on the Purely Yours and it's great (it does make some noise). I have not tried the Pump in Style so i can't compare.

Gator Guest

I had a breast reduction and wasn't sure if I could nurse. I was able to nurse my son about 1/4 of the time and pump another 1/4 of his needs. The rest I supplemented with formula. I rented a Medela pump and really liked it, but it is very heavy and a pain to lug around. I had several friends with the medela Pump in Style who liked it. The best thing I did was to use a pump in the hospital with the aid of a lactation consultant. I then got to keep the shields/tubing so when I got my rental I already had $40 worth of paraphenalia I'd have to have paid out of my own pocket otherwise.

I agree - arrange to have a rental and have it at home before you go into labor. Rent it for a few weeks or a month - it's often cheaper longer term - I ended up getting my rental in a panic the day I came home from the hospital and it was chaotic.

mgupta Guest

Being a physican I heard great things about Medela Pump in Style when I spoke to my OB friends. It is more expensive but very easy to use. I bought a new 2000 model on Ebay for $200 plus S/H.

Good luck

Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast