aimlyles Guest

Default How many bottles will I need?

I am due 9/28, I plan to breastfeed, but may occasionally pump to give my husband a chance to feed the baby. I recently registerd for the 2 Johnson and Johsnon Bottle Starter kits but I was not sure if this was a good brand to start off with and how many bottles I would need. I think there was 3 8 oz and 1 4 oz bottle per kit. I know eventually when the baby stops breastfeeding I will need more, but how many do you recommend for occasional bottle feedings?

Also, I am torn between the $80 Medela Mini Electric Pump and the $40 Avent Isis. I will be a SAHM, which do you recommend for the occasional pump???

Thanks for your help.
    Aimee

Geebee Guest

Default RE: How many bottles will I need?

I'm a SAHM, and I understand where you are at.

The bottles (8 total, if I understand correctly) should be more than enough for occasional bottle feeding. I started giving my daughter bottles 2 to 3 times per week when she was 5 weeks old so I could go on a longer outings by myself, so it would be easier to move to a bottle when the time came, and so I wouldn't always have to breastfeed in public if I didn't want to. With a max of only 3 times (occasionally 4) per week, it was easy to wash bottles between feedings (I think that I only used 2 4 oz bottles at the time). So it depends on how many often you want to give a bottle. If you give a bottle too often (and you don't pump as a substitute), your milk supply may decrease. I read somewhere to give a bottle 2 or 3 times per week, beginning between 4 and 6 weeks. I think that I read it in What to Expect the First Year, but don't quote me!

I used Avent bottles because they were highly recommended by friends for alternating between breast and bottle. They worked great, and I'm sure that there are other brands that will work just as well (I just don't have anything to compare it to). I think that the key is getting the baby to suck on the bottle like she sucks on the breast. This means taking in the whole bottle nipple to the back of her throat and using her jaw on the base of the bottle nipple.

Again, I can't compare the two pumps, but I borrowed a Medela Mini Electric Pump. It was great. My understanding is that the Avent Isis is hand-powered? It seems like, in order to pump a couple of ounces to save, it would be hard on your hands - but I'm just guessing.

I hope that helps!

Deana Guest

Re: pumps. I don't have personal experience, but talked to a couple of friends about this recently. One used the $250+ Medela with her first child and didn't like it as much as the $40 Avent she's now using with twins. Another friend used the $250+ Medela and didn't understand how the other friend had any luck with the Avent, but thought maybe it helped that she was using it for her second (and third!) child. So, no help at all! I will only be pumping for reasons you mentioned (I'm staying home as well), so I think I'll just try the Avent.

joodyjr Guest

I breastfeed and pump for 3 bottles. I have tried every bottle under the sun and then some. I will spare you the boring details, but I think you'll be happy with Johnsons. We use them 99% of the time, and Avent when I don't feel like washing dishes. I have only 7 bottles and as I mentioned, my son gets three bottles a day. The Avent is a good bottle too.
    Dr. Brown's makes a really great bottle that eliminates air. The only reason I don't use those all the time is because we really don't have a gassy/air in bottle problem. But keep them in mind!
    I felt the same as you when I was pregnant, wanted hubby to feed the baby too... but when I got past the not so great first couple of weeks of breastfeeding (and you will) I didn't want to share. I didn't want to not nurse... and my hubby understood.
    As for the pumps, I definitely recommend Avent Isis.
    For occasional pumping you can't beat it. It's terrific, quick, and comfortable and a great price! I used it before I went back to work (loved it!!)then got the Ameda Purely Yours for work... that was three months ago and I'm now awaiting the arrival of the Medela Pump-In-Style. But I pump 3X a day 5 days a week. I need the bigger pump. The Avent is super!!! Can't say enough great things about it!