Thread: Sterilizers?

TLC1994 is offline Silver level (200+ posts)

Default Sterilizers?

Just wondering if sterilizers are a necessity. I plan to breastfeed my baby but will have to give the baby a bottle (with breast milk) a couple of days a week once I return to work.

Do the bottles & nipples need to be sterilized or can they be put in the dishwasher?

Thanks for the help!

P.S. If a sterilizer is a must - should I go with the Avent Microwave Steam Sterilizer or the Avent Sterilizer Express like the Baby Bargains book recommends??

Geebee Guest

Default RE: Sterilizers?

Ask your pediatrician what he/she recommends.

I never sterilized bottles and nipples (I started the occasional bottle at about 5 weeks). I just put them in the dishwaser. But I always sterilized the breast pump equipment and the breast milk storage bottles. I recommend this so you can ensure that the breast milk isn't bad and doesn't go bad. I didn't use a "sterilizer". I just threw everything in a pot, filled it with water, and boiled the equipment. Then, I let everything air dry (I dumped it in a clean colander). So you don't have to have a sterilizer. It may be easier, though, if you have to sterilize frequently (which you may since you are going back to work).

Good luck!

rissella Guest

You don't need to sterilize. A lactation consultant told me that when I asked her if bottles of breast milk need to be sterilzed and she said no. According to her, since the baby gets antibodies with breast milk, sterilizing bottles in not neccessary. That goes for formula bottles of mostly breast-fed babies as well. BTW, since you are planning on pumping, you might find the pumpmoms news group a life saver. I did.

Hope this helps.

peg Guest

I am nursing my second baby and use Avent bottles and pacifiers for my kids. The bottles and pacifiers recommend boiling/sterlizing prior to first use. I also always boiled my breast pump supplies for the first three months. (But you shouldn't give a newborn a bottle prior to 4 weeks of age, so that your nursing is well established. But, you should give a bottle by 6 weeks or the baby may refuse the artificial nipple and you could have trouble when you have to go back to work.) Anyway, after 3 months of age, I just used the dishwasher for everything and selected a high temp rinse (no heat drying; will wear your nipples and pump parts!) When you are at work and pumping you will not have the time to sterize or dishwasher your parts, so you learn to live with just drying them with a clean dishtowel and putting them away. Make sure you stimulate/pump your nipples at least 7 times a day when back at work to keep up your milk supply. A really good website is www.nursingmothersupplies.com. They have good prices on pumps and milk storage bags and other useful items. A good reference book is Nuring Mothers Companion and Nursing Mother, Working Mother. (Sorry, don't remember the authors and I loaned out my books!) Congrats on your decision to breastfeed your child -- you couldn't make a healthier choice for your little love!