britchick Guest

Default Need help deciding on a pump

I am renting the Lactina breast pump,and i want to know if the Pump in style is a good alternative?I have the suction on high on the rental and it works great.Is the PIS suction as good/comparable to the Lactina.I dont want to buy a PIS and have the suction not be as good.Thanks for your help.R

ksummy Guest

Default RE: Need help deciding on a pump

I have not used the Lactina breast pump, but I purchased the PIS from the hospital prior to my dismissal. My baby and I have succesfully used it for 7 months now. I love it. I have been able to pump both breasts in in approximately 10 minutes, often less. It has 3 settings for suction and 5 settings for speed. I would highly recommend this pump.

Boogiemama Guest

Default RE: Need help deciding on a pump/ and breast feeding weight loss?

I need help deciding on an electric breast pump too.
    Our hospital rents the pumps for $45/month + $85 for the tubing (one time purchase). By that time I might as well buy one because I hope to have another child someday.

Trying to compare the Medela Pump In Style Professional vs
    The Ameda Purely Yours vs. the Bailey Nurture III

Basically I want to know which works the fastest and most comfortably and quietest. I heard the Ameda weighs less, no small issue because I have a sore back from an auto wreck and the car seat carrier with baby will be enough weight without a heavy breast pump.

I can bring my baby to the office with me, but I may need to pump to store some for when I have to have meetings, etc.

Also - does anyone find that breastfeeding helps you lose weight? I am quite heavy and really want to lose weight for health reasons.

trumansmom is offline Emerald level (3000+ posts)

I use the Pump in Style and really haven't found it to be all that heavy. But I generally leave it at my office anyway.

And I'm also a larger woman, and within 4 weeks I weighed 5 pounds less than I did before I got pregnant. And now 4 months later, I've pretty much stayed there. It's not much, but it's something! Also, since my breasts are significantly larger than they were before, that 5 pounds has definitely meant a pants size smaller.

Good luck!

mspacman Guest

A lot of people just buy the same brand of pump they rented, so that the bottles will be compatible. I rented an Ameda Lact-e for a month (warning: it's very heavy, you won't want to tote it to and from work) and bought a Purely Yours. I like it very much, and it was over $100 less than the PIS.

If you're just occasionally pumping, an Isis manual might be all you really need. They work great, are certainly lightweight and you can buy 2 and double-pump for less than the cost of 1 electric.

I gained almost 60 pounds while pregnant, and almost all of it is gone 4 months later. But this may be more from running around and not having time to eat. :) If you were overweight before getting pregnant, I'm not sure if breastfeeding alone will take it all off.

MinnieMouse Guest

I have a Medela Pump In Style...I never used a rental pump.

I am VERY happy with this pump. I have an hour train commute each way to work every day...it's unobtrusive and works GREAT!!

DD is now almost 9 months old and I've been working since she was 3 months. I've found the PIS to be quick and easy to use. I pump into the bottles that came with it and transfer the milk into Gerber bags when I get home..great for transporting to day care and freezing!!

I also have an Avent Isis that I like to use if I only need to pump one side...or I am out and can't take the PIS with me.

We use Avent disposable bottles and found they are great. I also have a few of the reusable ones as well.

I know that knoxbreastfeeding.com has the PIS on sale right now. And they are now including the battery pack with it!! It's only $199!! woo hoo! Wish they had it when I needed to buy mine!

Christine

PS..I was down to prepregnancy weight by the time dd was 3 months...I haven't gone past that though.

bjiang Guest

I have used both the Lactina Select and Pump In Style Traveler (2001 model). The suctions for the 2 pumps are comparable. My PIS Traveler can cycle up to 68 times per minute and the Lactina Select can cycle up to 60 times per minute, if the cycling speed matters to you. I get similar output from both pumps, so I would recommend purchasing the PIS. One thing that helped me with the let down is the Ameda Flexi Shield (can be used with Medela pumps). Medela also makes a flexible shield, but it doesn't work as well for me as the Ameda ones.