ralar Guest

Default Pump 'N Style is Single User Product?

I had my breastfeeding class yesterday and I asked the instructor (a lactation consultant) about using my sister's Pump 'n Style (with new collection tubing, bottles, etc.). She said that Medela has always sold it as a single user product, but inthe past year the FDA has also expressed the opinion that it is a single user pump. She said that the motor units of rental pumps are "closed systems" and the motor units on pumps such as the Pump 'n Style are "open systems." She said they have discovered that the motor units can harbor viruses. This would most likely happen if the milk bottle were overfilled and backed-up into the motor unit.

Although this sounds reasonable, I'm still not convinced that it isn't hype to promote the sale of new pumps. If I decide to use my sister's pump, what collection kit do I need to go along with it?

Laurie edd 3/12/02

Sadie S Guest

Default RE: Pump 'N Style is Single User Product?

Hi:

I have struggled with this too, as my best friend wants to borrow my PIS. I finally decided that since I would be willing to nurse her child and to let her nurse mine, it doesn't matter if she borrows my pump! I think that the virus that they worry about is the HIV virus, so if you know and trust your sister well enough, I would say go for it if you want.

You probably would want to purchase your own pumping kit. You can just call any pharmacy that sells Medela products and tell them you want a pumping kit and they will know what you mean. It includes the phalanges that you hold up to your breasts, the valves, the collection bottles, the lids, the tubing, etc.

GL!
    Sadie S

Momtotwo Guest

A friend has also asked to use my pump (once I am finished with it) to determine whether breastfeeding is going to work for her before she buys here own. To get the collection kit, you can call Medela directly and they will send you all the parts you need -- the prices are the same or lower than in stores. I think you would need the bottles and tops, the tubes, the tips and flanges that fit on the tips.

tobymc Guest

When I was done with my Medela PIS, I did pass it along to another mom. I understand that it has an open system (a good reason to choose a competitive pump with a closed system) but I thought about the problems.

I had not ever overflowed the milk bottle (wow- that would have been exciting!), nor had I ever had even a regular breast infection while using the pump. I think that some viruses can be airborn, but I don't know.

If you were to get an open system pump from another mom, I'd think you'd want to ask that type of information.

It just seemed a total shame to "waste" a great pump like that. I gave mine to my sister-in-law who is a lactation consultant, to use as a demo for her clients. I don't think it took long for her to give it up to a mom who really needed it.

Toby, mom to Adam who is now 3 1/2 and still nursing but hasn't had any expressed milk for a long time.