Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast
    vkmom Guest

Default Anyone Use Formula from Wal-Mart, Target, or other?

Just read some info from the Morning Show that the Fields' were on last week. Anyone use these formulas they suggest? I've been using Similac, but would like to try something cheaper. Any thoughts?

egoldber is offline Black Diamond level (25,000+ posts)

Default RE: Anyone Use Formula from Wal-Mart, Target, or other?

These "store brand" formulas are all manufactured by one company, Wyeth Nutritionals. Wyeth used to manufacture formulas under their own name in the US until about 10 years ago. They are still a big player in the European formula market. These formulas must meet all the same FDA nutritional standards for infant formulas as all the other companies. You can find out more about them by going to their website: http://www.storebrandformula.com/

Befor switching formulas, always check first with your pediatrician. And switch gradually, not all at once.

Personally, I have found that if I buy formula on sale and use a coupon, that the price of store brands and "name brands" are then comparable. Also, Costco carries Similac in larger cans and it is more economical that way.

HTH,
    Beth, mom to older DD (8/01) and younger DD (10/06) and always missing Leah (4/22 - 5/1/05)

nywifey Guest

I agree. I joined the Similac Welcome Additions club on their website and I know this is bad so but I'm being honest, my cousin joined (not pregnant/no baby) too and gives me her coupons as well. You get a nice sizeable coupon each month. I purchase the formula at BJ's Wholesale Club. They have a great baby aisle. I found that they also offer in-store coupons on the Similac and Im able to use both coupons together. Once I got a case of 6 plastic pre-made containers for as low as $13 with my coupons! You need to shop around!

If you haven't yet joined these formula "clubs" (they all have them) and you already have a baby who is older than a couple weeks, I would be less than totally truthful about the age of your baby. The younger your baby, the better the coupons. This is because parents tend to develop brand loyalty after a few weeks and the companies know that if you haven't used their formula already by 4 months (or whatever) then you're not likely to start. This is why the initial gifts are so great ($10 coupons, free cans of formula, etc.). By 6 months, the coupons are down to like only a $1 off. In my mommy group, we all swap coupons. Enfamil moms give Similac coupons to Similac moms, and vice versa.

HTH,
    Beth, mom to older DD (8/01) and younger DD (10/06) and always missing Leah (4/22 - 5/1/05)

IansMom04 Guest

At a friend's baby's appointment ( I had tagged along) the Dr said to only use the formulas by Similac. She said that in her opinion, Similac was the only formula brand to activly conduct research into making the formula more like breastmilk. She told my friend to avoid all store brands... don't kow if this is true.. but it is what she said..

benzmommyplus1 Guest

Sounds to me like that doctor gets a hefty amount of money from Similac for only recommending their brand. Especially since Enfamil just released their new formula with DHA, and Similac hasn't released theirs yet.

loungeboykip Guest

Does anyone know if Target or WalMart are selling DHA formulas yet?
    I'm assuming that Wyeth makes all these, from what I've read so far?

Wyeth does indeed make all store brand formulas in the US, wherever they are sold. I did a quick check of the website, http://www.storebrandformula.com, and I didn't see anything about a new DHA formula. So far only Enfamil has the DHA formula available as Enfamil Lipil. The Similac website says that their new formulation is "coming soon", but I have heard some folks on another bulletin board say they have seen it on the shelves in their area. You could call the customer service number for Wyeth and ask if any new formula is being planned.

You may want to talk to your pediatrician to get more info on this type of formula. It is significantly more expensive and may not necessarily be right for your situation. If your baby is even partially breastfed for a long enough period of time, then this formula may not provide any additional benefit. And there is also some controversy around the studies showing whether or not there is a real benefit. As my ped said "some studies have shown that there may be a benefit for some babies..."

HTH,

gwicks Guest

Wyeth (AHP) used to market SMA in the US, but it really never took. So they take it to Europe and it is the largest selling formula in UK.
    I found SMA GOLD from a UK online service that ships to US.! It contains DHA and ARA, so I've been giving it to my son since Dec. The same formula is the Target, Walmart, CVS store brands, but doesn't have DHA and ARA yet. Wyeth nutritionals in PA said by June/July (slow FDA).
    I was one of the first to get my hands on Enfamil Lipil in PA, (because my wife wants ready-to-feed) after a month, my son rashed on his behind and pooped several times a day??? We went back to SMA and his poops are more like 1 a day and the rash is gone.
    I've read DHA needs to carefully balanced, maybe Mead rushed it to the shelves.
    I'm getting Wyeth formula from Kmart for $11 for 2lbs.(powder)
    Coupons don't beat that, stop paying for sales reps.!

gigipie Guest

All the Mom's in my neighborhood use Target brand and haven't had any problems.

trish :)

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast