tilly2321 Guest

Default Do you warm your refrigerated breastmilk in a bottle warmer?

Hi! For those of you who might express breastmilk and want dad to take one of the night feedings off your hands, do you keep it in the fridge and then grab it and warm it up in warm water or keep it in a bottle warmer by the bedside? Can you thaw breastmilk in one of those bottle warmers also? I am clueless on all of these contraptions and plan to breastfeed most of the time and pump here and there. Please help!
    Thanks!
    Elaine

kgdolan Guest

Default RE: Do you warm your refrigerated breastmilk in a bottle warmer?

Elaine
    My husband feeds our infant on nights I have to work. We bought a bottle warmer, but he finds that a cup of warm water works well for him. I keep the milk in bottles in the fridge. He takes out a large coffee mug and fills it about half full. He microwaves the mug of water for 2.5 minutes on high. (never microwave breastmilk). He then puts the bottle in the water for another 2.5 minutes. He says in 5 minutes he has the bottle ready and hasn't used the warmer once. You can defrost milk that way too or put it in the warmer to defrost.

hope this helps,
    Gail

tilly2321 Guest

Hello Gail,
    One last question for you. How long does it take for freezed breastmilk to defrost in the fridge? Do you put it in a couple of hours before or does it take a whole day? It's nice to know you can also defrost the milk in the warmer also. Thanks for the info!
    I appreciate your response!
    Elaine

Connie1222 Guest

I take out frozen BM the night before but I was finding it was still frozen the next morning if I tried to defrost it in the fridge. So I leave it out and the next morning put it in the fridge. My DH stays home with our son & I leave a bottle out before I leave for work and my son takes it at room temp, then my Dh takes out the next bottle so it will be room temp for the next feeding. Hope that helps!

Connie