Thread: Cooking Squash

Default Cooking Squash

I'm looking for suggestions for cooking butternut squash for my 1 year old DD. She's doing good w/ other veggies, but just thought I'd try this out! Thanks!

egoldber is offline Black Diamond level (25,000+ posts)

Default RE: Cooking Squash

This is one of Sarah's favorites!

You can cook it one of two ways. To microwave, cut it in half, put it cut side down in a microwaveble dish, then microwave on high for several minutes, turning about half way through. Unfortunately, the number of minutes will vary depending on your microwave. Just keep doing a couple minutes at a time until it is done to your liking.

You can also bake it. To bake, put the whole squash (uncut) in a pan in the oven for about 45 minutes at 350. Easy!

Once it has cooked, scoop out the seeds, peel and cut the squash in chunks. You can serve as a finger food if you don't microwave or bake quite as long (I would only bake for about 30-35 minutes). It tastes very similar to sweet potato, so if your baby likes sweet potato, they'll like butternut squash.

HTH,
    Beth, mom to older DD (8/01) and younger DD (10/06) and always missing Leah (4/22 - 5/1/05)