Hi there...I am breastfeeding, but I feel like I am doing it incorrectly. We have no trouble with latch-on and he's definitely getting enough given the number of diapers he goes through and weight gain. My real problem is with how to do it. The hospital told me to nurse on one side for ten minutes, burp, and then move to the other side. I've read several times that you should let the baby decide when he is done with the breast, not to look at the clock. My baby takes about 20 minutes at the breast and then really doesn't have much interest in the second one. Should I cut his time at the first breast, or should I just pump the second one? I am going back to work soon and am not able to pump there (I'm a waitress.)so I do need to start building up the reserves. My only concern is that if I do pump, there will be no milk for him at the next feeding.

My other issue is with burping. I sit him up after each feeding and hold his chest, pat his back, then put him over my shoulder and pat him again. Nothing ever comes up until about twenty minutes later. The ped told me to sit him upright after each feeding for up to an hour. I can do this during the day, but at night, what am I supposed to do? He has a swing that we put him in, and he likes that, but once you try to transfer him, forget it. We don't have a craftmatic crib and I am very likely to fall asleep while holding him upright at that hour. How have you all dealt with this?

Also, last night he could not get enough (he is going through his three week growth spurt). Every hour he was looking for some boob, but like I said before, if I try to feed him on both sides he won't take it. We finally had to give up and give him some formula because I just don't think he was getting anything and also I was in tears I was so tired. Then I started bawling because I felt like an insufficient mother. I am all about breastfeeding and he's only had formula three times since he's been born, but I still get this overwhelming sense feeling of guilt. I even start to get upset when I watch Baby Story and I see babies with formula. I wish there was a more happy medium between using breastmilk and formula so I wouldn't feel like a failure. Anybody else had crazy guilt issues?

Sorry so long. Thanks for your help. joanne