bnme is offline Sapphire level (2000+ posts)

Default "Part-time" BF Questions

I am just wondering if any of you have any recommendations for resources about not full-time bf. I am planning on bf (if all goes well) but only for a limited time since I am going back to work and don't want to pump. Initially I was not going to bf at all, but I have just decided to try a bf/formula combo

My ped recommended starting to introduce formula from a bottle right away for a couple of feedings per day. I like this idea because it allows others involvement w/o me having to pump. I also think it will help the transition to all-bottle go smoother.

I just have not been able to find any reading material/info in support of this --everything seems more focused don encouraging the women to pump, etc. I understand this because of all the benes of bf, but it doesn't fit in with how I feel about it. It is difficult becuase I am trying to do what is best for my child for as long as I can and I can't seem to find any support. I did read something in Tacy Hoggs book that said it is possible to do both succsessfully, but I am trying to find more of a plan-of-action for this scenario.

Any advice on "part-time" bf would be appreciated.....

Donna

Mom to JT 1/03 and TJ 8/04

megsmom Guest

Default RE: "Part-time" BF Questions

It is possible to bottle and breast feed if you have a flexible baby and get a good start. Even with all the information out there on breastfeeding, it is hard to know how it will go for you or how you will feel about it until you and your baby do it for awhile.

We did bottle/breast out of necessity. I am one of the few who had low milk supply (mostly in the evenings, my supply was great in the middle of the night and morning but started seriously waning in mid-afternoon.) My daughter was exclusively nursed for two weeks and then we found out she wasn't gaining enough weight. Waiting this period of time before we introduced the bottle helped her to really feed well from the breast and kept her from getting nipple confused. It's unlikely that your baby would oppose a bottle if introduced around the time of 2-3 weeks since it's easier to feed from a bottle than the breast. Since I really wanted to bf and enjoyed that time with my daughter, I tried to nurse her as much as a could, but I had post-partum depression and migraines so I had to try and get some stretches of sleep every few days. Having my husband give her the bottle in the evenings so I could go to bed early or taking an occasional night feeding really helped. This didn't affect my supply a whole lot, since I really had almost no milk in the evenings anyway. Middle of the night feedings were easier for me since I had a lot of milk and it was much easier/quicker to nurse rather than deal with bottles, warming them, etc.

I would say to nurse as much as you can the first 4-6 weeks to build up a good milk supply. Another thing that I think helped Meg switch between breast/bottle easily was using the large rounded nipples like Avent. It keeps their mouths open wider during feeding simiar to the breast. I would also advise seeing a lactation consultant to get other suggestions. My LC was supportive of our need to use formula and even my decision to stop nursing when I did (mostly because of the PPD and needing to help my hormones calm down). I have heard some LC's are very anti-formula/supplimentation so you may have to shop around. You might even consider renting a hospital pump for a month or so to help relieve engorgement and build some supply. I read somewhere that pumping after the first morning feedings starting even during the first week can really help build up milk supply both in you and in the freezer. Pumping really isn't all that bad, you know. I had a friend who was able to keep her son mostly on breastmilk just by pumping 15 min at our lunchbreak and pumping or feeding him in the mornings and after work. I would also add when you decide to wean, do it very gradually. It's what I did and MUCH easier on you and the little one. Whatever you decide, good luck. You never know what mother nature or your kid has planned! :)

Jen
    mother to Meghan
    born 7/13/01

bnme is offline Sapphire level (2000+ posts)

Default RE: "Part-time" BF Questions

Thanks for the advice. You are so right, you can't plan too much becuase mother nature has a say also! I think I will try and find a lc with flex views.
    :)

Donna

Mom to JT 1/03 and TJ 8/04