Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2
    Mayan Guest

Default RE: Smelly poop and farting (BF babies only!)

My son's poop also smells, which was a big surprise since the breastfeeding class said that it wouldn't.
    To me it smells a bit like sour milk...and the diaper champ is not at all good at masking that odor so poopy diaper go right out to the trash...
    His poop color ranges from mustardy to yellow-green, with many wierd consistencies. He is mostly breastfed, but I suplement here and there with formula.
    I guess any poop color is normal with babies as long as they seem happy.

Mayan
    mom to Adi (12/04/02)

22tango Guest

Karenna's poops did smell,...but not really so bad as once she started eating solids! Actually, I find they smell like what they eat...that is, BF babies poo smells like buttermilk (sour milk)!! Her rice cereal poo smells like vinegar (rice vinegar!! LOL!)

mama2be Guest

Default "Butter Popcorn poops"

I never ever would have admitted this if I had not seen your post BUT I too say that Tristan's poops smell like "butter". He is formula fed and they smell like this I have never ever thought they "stunk".

BUT with that said his loud farts REEK!!!! He always gives me one in the middle of changing him and I can not believe how a little baby can produce such a smell.

Denyse Guest

Brett's poops are a little smelly but not too horrible. That said, I think BFed babies can have some pretty stinky poo, based on my experience with other bfed babies.

And Brett's farts can rival any adults. *L*

posterelle Guest

glad you asked this question -- I've been wondering the same thing. I think the "bf poop doesn't smell" may be one of the great all-time Baby Myths . . . (although I'm sure it's nothing compared to solid foods poops)

I agree. I'm glad that you posted this Tammy, because Martie's poops do smell. I always thought they smelled kind of mustardy, but maybe that's because that's the color that they are. Whatever the color, they are not odorless, and they do not smell sweet. I believe I read that somewhere.

Sonia
    Proud Mommy to Martie 4/6/03
    Sonia, who is eagerly awaiting the magic laundry fairy to visit me
    Mommy to M girls

gremlin44 Guest

My son Kevin (7 1/2 months) has been exclusively breastfed.

I was never told that BF babies' poop was odorless, but rather that it smelled like butter.

Both my husband and I have found that to be true. Once Kevin got to be about 2 months old, and he went longer and longer between bowel movements (upward of 2 or 3 days), his poops began to smell more like plain yogurt. When he shifted to upwards of 7 days between poops, it smelled and looked like nacho cheese dip. I figured he was just progressing through the land of dairy smells. :-)

He started on solids at 6 months. And then it changed....

I can't quite describe the odor of the poop now, other than incredibly strong and intense.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2