kfcboston is offline Platinum level (1000+ posts)

Default "Nursing" After Weaning?

Any cheaters out there? Joanne, I think you mentioned doing this on occasion, but is it possible to use the breast for comfort purposes AFTER you've weaned? Or is it not really comforting? Does it work? Only when used selectively? My DS is headed down the gradual weaning road, but I'm wondering, particularly for the teething phase, if I could cheat? TIA!

jayhjay Guest

Default RE:

I "cheated" during weaning but not after. THere were times once I cut down her feedings that she was so fussy or wouldn't nap. As any BF mom knows, sometimes a few minutes of nursing is all it takes!

But once I had weaned completely, I was afraid to try starting again. She handled it so well I was worried about reintroducing it for random, occassional feedings. Also, not sure how my milk supply would be - if it was there at all, and if I wanted to start it up again.

jojo2324 Guest

Default RE:

Ha! I wish it was on occasion. :( We were doing really well, down to only one feeding a day, in the morning, but that flew out the window once the teeth really started kickin'. Now I think he knows something's up (or in, I guess you could say :)), and he won't relinquish the nipple. It might only be a minute here or there, but it is getting to be very taxing. This is made more difficult because he sleeps in our room. (Long story short, my bro is here for the summer and took over G's room, so we have no place to put him until he leaves.) It is hard to soothe him at night when he KNOWS I am right there, complete with breasts.

I don't know if this really answers your question, since we never completely weaned, but I hope it helps a little bit.