Thread: soy milk

Default soy milk

when can you give a baby soy milk? maybe to mix in some cereal. maybe a sip or two to get him interested in it, so at 12 months he will know what it is all about.
    Liza has been hangin' around this board for six years.

My sons are 4 and 6. And they are very loud.

Momof3Labs is offline Pink Diamond level (15,000+ posts)

Default RE: soy milk

The rule for milk of all kinds (except breastmilk and formula) is one year. Although, I have given Colin a sip of milk here and there, but I don't mix it in his cereal.
    Single mom to

DS ("twice exceptional") - September 2002
    DS - February 2006
    DD - July 2009
    DD - July 2009

luvbeinmama Guest

For Soy milk, I waited until 2 years because that's when the ped's start recommending 2% milk rather than whole. Soy Milk has about as much fat as 2% milk (half that of whole milk). At 1 year they want the kids on full-fat milk, so I kept with the soy formula until 2 years. I think that is the best solution, and as I remember, I think that's what my ped recommended.

Liza:

I just talked to someone today about soy milk, because I'm interested in getting that for Martie too. She told me her ped. said that you have to get a certain brand of soy milk that is fortified differently than most soy milk out there. She wasn't sure of what brand it was though.

Sonia
    Proud Mommy to Martie 4/6/03

Why does the 1 year rule apply to soy milk as well? I thought the main concern in waiting on whole milk is fear of allergies. If it's a fat issue, I don't see why it would be a problem to mix soymilk in cereal when an acceptable alternative is water and soy milk would definitely have more calories than water. I do not know the answer to this question, but assumed that minimal use of soy milk would be okay prior to 1 year.
    Mommy to Justin (13 years) & Ashlyn (8 years)

lukkykatt Guest

I usually keep a few containers of soy milk on hand in the pantry - just in case we run out of milk or the power goes off. I buy Westsoy Plus, which is fortified. I'm not sure if that is the brand your friend was talking about, but it is the one with the highest percentages of fat and calcium that I can find at our store.

I believe the reason for not giving cow's milk before one year is an inability to digest the proteins. (cooking the milk breaks down the proteins which is why babies can drink formula made from it)

Would soy milk have the proteins that are not digestible? What is soy milk, how is it made?

...Karen
    Jacob Nathaniel Feb 91
    Logan Elizabeth Mar 03