Just to offer a different opinion...
I know many moms swear by it, but I HATED Lansinoh and all the similar products! I found it painful to put them on because they were too sticky and DS refused to nurse when it was on my nipples, so I had to wash off before nursing, which hurt worse than nursing itself. I used Soothies and they worked perfectly. They are glycerin gel pads that you wear under your breast pads. You can reuse them for up to 2 weeks and can put them in the fridge for extra cooling/soothing. Here's a link, or just do a google search for them
http://www.fitmaternity.com/pss001.html
I tried the Gerber brand ones recently (a bit of a teething incident...) and didn't find them to work as well, plus they dry out quickly. These were a Godsend for me!

As for the scabs, I agree with the previous post who mentioned that they are now calloused but not scabbed.

I second the recommendation for camisoles with shelf bras. I wore them day and night for the first few weeks, and still wear camis at night. I found that the fabric didn't seem to shift as much, so there was less friction on my nipples. As for other bras, I wear Bravado and I have a few other miscellaneous bras for various funtions (seamless microfiber for under smooth things, tan one for under while shirts, etc.) but the Bravados were it in the beginning.Good luck and congrats!
Lynne
Mommy to Caleb 3/3/03