martha7 Guest

Default Swings and bouncers

Would love to hear peoples' views / experience / recommendations on baby swings and bouncers/rockers. Thanks!

jojomo18 Guest

Default RE: Swings and bouncers

I made the mistake of investing in the top of the line Graco swing and my daughter never liked it. I would recommend buying the basic model, open top, battery operated.
    As far as the bouncer is concerned I can't say enough about it. It's a lifesaver! I have the Fisher Price vibrating bouncer with a toy bar. This is definitely a "must buy" item.

MrsBig Guest

My husband used the swing more than I did. I felt guilty, like I was trying to drug our son, because he always fell asleep in it. As for the bouncer, it has been great. I still use it sometimes (our son is now 8 months) for feeding.
    You didn't really ask for opinions on these, but I'll add them. Exersaucers and doorway jumpers are WONDERFUL. Especially the latter. And I'd like to give Graco a plug, because they were very helpful with our doorway jumper. Our son got to be too tall for it before he was too heavy for it. I emailed them about it, and they gave me instructions on how to take up more slack on it than it was designed for (without jeopardizing the safety).

Petey Guest

I have a Fisher Price 3 in 1 swing. The seat swivels so the baby can swing backwards and forwards or side to side. I am not sure that I (or the baby) notice the difference, but the thing that I do like is that the seat seems more reclining and cradling. I've seen friends' swings (Graco open top), and it looks like the baby is propped up more in a sitting position when they aren't ready. I didn't register for this swing, but I really like it for that reason.

I didn't register for a swing or a bouncer for my son (4 months old now) becuase my mom talked me out of them saying they were a waste of money since neither myself or my sister liked them.

I ended up finding a used Graco open top two speed swing at a garage sale when my son was about 3 weeks old. By that time it became clear that my son would probably like it (we used to put him in his infant car seat and swing him around). The swing has been great. I would recommend investing in a basic model -- you don't need all the fancy stuff! The open top is great because you don't have to worry about hitting baby's head on the bar.

Sarah...

martha7 Guest

Thank you all for your helpful advice! Actually, I ended up with a loaner swing--a Graco 2 speed like Sarah's. And I agree that the open top is essential and the other features probably doesn't matter. My baby isn't really too fond of the thing. On the other hand, she LIVES in her bouncer. I mean "lives." At the moment, she's sleeping in it at night as well as during the day (she doesn't seem to like reclining--maybe because of gas). One of these days I have to put my foot down and get her used to the crib (she no longer likes the bassinet). But meanwhile, the bouncer is a real life-saver. I have my doubts about the wisdom of over-use of the vibrating feature (which she likes and I tend to forget to turn off). So I'm trying to be more careful about that. But the bouncer is a major life-saver. And I like the one I got (Fisher-Price), although I'm not sure the "sounds and light" feature is really worth it. It seems to amuse her briefly and then either frustrate her or overstimulate her, so I end up removing the toy bar most of the time. Anyway, thanks again to all of you! Martha