Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast
    mama2be Guest

Default POLL: What baby monitors do you love

I love the poll's, they help me so much decide what to get for my first due in Feb. I have not even begun looking at monitors. My DH is obsessed with monitors (the technology thing I think:))...any advice out there.

Each week I am tackling something...monitors are my thing this week...:)

Thanks to all...

KimberleyDawn Guest

Default RE: POLL: What baby monitors do you love

I too would love to hear peoples suggestions. So far dh and I are leaning towards the Graco Family Listen 'n Talk Monitor.
    -900 MHz
    -monitor provides a walkie talkie feature (between the 2 receivers) that allow you to listen & talk to baby from each receiver.
    -auto channel feature allowa you to change the channel on all 3 units with the touch of one button.
    -full sound lights allow you to clearly see baby's sounds.
    -includes nursery unit and 2 receivers.
    -receiver is battery or AC adapter operated
    -belt clip
    -volume control
    What monitor are you looking at or are you waiting for the suggestions to pour in :).
    Kim

mama2be Guest

I'm just waiting for the suggestions...I have done no research yet at all. A week ago I knew nothing about car seats and then decided to research those and within 24hours bought a marathon. So just waiting on feed back. I did just see one by Safety first that allows you to see baby from any TV (not a little one that comes with the unit). At a "la-dee-dah" place that is pretty pricy it is $109 so wanted to research prices on the web for that. But I have no idea what to look for...

Keep me posted if you find a good one :)
    Thanks!!!

egoldber is offline Black Diamond level (25,000+ posts)

We have had two, and I don't love either of them. We started with a First Years Crisp&Clear 900 mhz. It had excellent sound quality, but after a couple months became VERY staticky. One nice feature of this monitor was that the nursery unit didn't have to be plugged in, it could be used on batteries. This makes it quite handy for travel.

After about 6 months we couldn't stand the static anymore, and I bought a Fisher Price Vibrating 900 mhz monitor. I LOVE the vibrating feature. It is great when you are in a situation with a lot of ambient noise (you're on the deck and your neighbor is mowing, you're having a party, etc.) The sound quality isn't as nice as it was on the First Years one, but not too horrible. We have had intermittent static problems with it.

If I had to do it over again, I would get a video monitor. Many times I have gone to check on Sarah during a nap, etc. and found her awake. I would have really liked to know how long she had been asleep! When you have sleep issues with an older baby (and you will!) a video monitor would also be very handy.

Unfortunately monitors are tough. Not all monitors work for all people. A lot depends on your house, your electronics, your neighbors house and if they have a monitor or electronics, etc. So buy one with the features you want and keep the receipt!

HTH,
    Beth, mom to older DD (8/01) and younger DD (10/06) and always missing Leah (4/22 - 5/1/05)

We have had great luck with the Evenflo 3000 Constant Communicator (around $50). The only issues we have had have been our errors, not the product. We thought is recently broke because it made this annoying sound which really was just telling us that the channel had been bumped. This was the first one we tried so we got lucky. Our next door neighbor has a First Years one and we haven't had any problems with interference.

Good luck,
    Mary

lbess is offline Copper level (50+ posts)

Default One vote for a video monitor

We have the Safety 1st video monitor (the one with its own video monitor). I thought it was too extravagant at first, but it's been worth every penny, especially since DD's bedroom is upstairs and ours is downstairs. I love being able to see whether she's awake or just restless, without going into her room and potentially disturbing her just as she's settling back down.

It is prone to interference from the 2.4 GhZ phone and the microwave, but that hasn't been too much of a problem. We also learned early on that you have to stand still to look at it -- for some reason, walking around near the monitor messes up the reception momentarily.

We also have a Fisher Price dual receiver sound-only monitor, which has been nice for taking to Grandma's house.

We have an evenflo constant care 3000 and like it a lot. I love the lights feature, because sometimes, you just don't want to hear the fussing. Of course, this was more of an issue right after we brought ds home, didn't know what to do with him, was suffering from post-partum depression, etc.

We've been happy with this monitor.

Candy
    -SAHM to Matthew Nicholas, born 5/22/02
    Candy

Matthew 5/02
    Ethan 10/07
    Praying for Pink in 2013/2014

KJB1126 Guest

Hi!

I have the Fisher-Price Sound and Lights with dual receivers. I love it! We keep one in the bedroom and one downstairs. DH originally liked the idea of the two way communicator, so we piked up the Graco Listen and Talk. What a piece of junk....there was too much static. Another point...if you are trying to put your baby to sleep, whould you want to be disturbed by DH calling you from the other receiver? I know DD wakes up whenever she hears her daddy. Just a thought....:)

Anyway, back to the Sound and Lights. There is no static, and it's really sensitive. Drawbacks? A long antenna on the receivers, and a slight humming noise when the volume is turned up all the way. I used this monitor outside (on battery power) and found it was
    static-y around the perimeter of the yard (it was probably due to the fact I was close to being out of range). There is no rechargeable battery. I think this monitor is great despite the drawbacks.

You might have to go through a couple of monitors before you find the right one, because what works for someone else may not work for you.

HTH and good luck!

Kelly
    Kaitlyn 11/21/01

kls Guest

I LOVE my Bebe Sounds movement and sound monitor...

I bought it after reading all the positive reviews here:
    http://www.amazon.com/exec/obidos/tg...=baby&n=507846

Great for easing the mind, and also the only monitor that worked well in my house!

mspacman Guest

We also really liked the FP Sound and Lights. The dual receivers are nice, especially in a three-level house. I was about to give ours away, until I read in Heloise that baby monitors make good "pagers" for when kids or old folks are sick in bed. They can easily make requests for water, ice cream, the TV, etc. etc. :)

Whatever you buy, I would really recommend a monitor with lights. As a new mom, you jump at every little sound thinking it's your baby! I could take a shower and watch the monitor in the next room to see if it lit up.

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast