sntm is offline Diamond level (5000+ posts)

Default Best blocks for 6 mo+? (can you tell I'm already X-mas shopping?)

ones with lasting power, that he might still use when he is older, and that don't take up tons of room (no space for the cool giant cardboard ones, etc.)

shannon
    not-even-pregnant-yet-overachiever
    trying-to-conceive :)
    PREGNANT! EDD 6/9/03
    mama to Jack 6/6/03

Default RE: Best blocks for 6 mo+? (can you tell I'm already X-mas shopping?)

I really like the Parents Alphablock Sorter. There are 8 foam blocks covered with cloth. Six of the blocks have shaped inserts (2 squares, 2 circles and 2 triangles; 3 of the inserts are teethers and 3 are rattles). The images on the blocks assist with counting and learning ABCs. The blocks are about 3"x3" and are machine washable. They come in a plastic carrying case. I bought mine at BRU but have since seen them for less at Target. I can't find a link to it, though.
    Mommy to Justin (13 years) & Ashlyn (8 years)

vikivoly Guest

Fisher Price Peek-a-Blocks are pretty neat. They are clear plastic blocks with a variety of things inside. Some have animals inside, some make different noises, others have different textures.

nitaghei Guest

Shannon,

Here are two options that might work:

http://www.sensationalbeginnings.com/

Item H3999

and Item I3683

For some reason I can't get a link to the pages with the toys directly.

Nita

LucyG is offline Sapphire level (2000+ posts)

We have several sets of the FP peek-a-blocks, and they are adorable and fun. Also, they don't take up a ton of space.

sntm is offline Diamond level (5000+ posts)

Those are both perfect! The soft blocks I found on Amazon (Jack's wishlist items for Grammy) but I've been searching for some good old blocks, like the ABC ones. Do you think they are safe for a 6 mo old?

Would also love some ones like Frank Lloyd Wright's blocks -- with arches and things, good for building and spatial relations. Saw them years ago, and now can't find them.

shannon
    not-even-pregnant-yet-overachiever
    trying-to-conceive :)
    PREGNANT! EDD 6/9/03
    mama to Jack 6/6/03

momtoemma Guest

We have a set of blocks by the Uncle Goose toy company. They are good old-fashioned wooden blocks, and we love them. They are a classic toy that will last and last (provided that I can keep them away from my dog who has developed a wood fetish lately). Uncle Goose sells them directly or you can also get them from several on-line retailers. Pottery Barn Kids also makes a nice set of wooden blocks although they are quite large..something like 2" or 2 1/2" per block. Happy shopping!

Stephanie

caroliner Guest

Pottery Barn Kids blocks are fantastic. We have a set and they are wonderful...

nitaghei Guest

I've seen sets with arches etc. in at least one of the catalogs I receive. I think they're more appropriate for slightly older children, though but I'll check when I get home.

Also - I *think* I saw some cool wooden blocks at Marshalls, of all places. Might be worth a trip - if you can find the time! The way I look at the wooden blocks - he'll like them at some point, and they'll be safe at some point. Having said that, Neel loved the soft foam ones at 6 months, and still likes them a lot.

HTH

Nita

nitaghei Guest

Shannon,

Is this what you had in mind?

http://www.constplay.com/cgi-bin/constplay_cgi.sh/WService=constplay/constplay.com/family/product.htm?stateInfo=iKpbpAdXivHnhubj8821|3&dept_ id=&pf_id=HAB-30L&parent_id=&qty=1

They have tons of wooden blocks which look amazing. If the link doesn't work, the site is
    www.constplay.com

Nita