akc Guest

Default CUTE Long-playing crib Mobiles w/batteries???

Hi -

This may sound odd (or just really specific) but can anyone recommend a crib mobile that plays music for more than 5 minutes (preferably 10-15) and runs on batteries (vs. a wind-up)??? The only one I know of is the Tiny Love Symphony in Motion which has the functions I really want, but is really not all that cute to me (OK - maybe I'm terrible b/c I know they are designed for optimum development but the red & black one is not really my style and the animal one is a little scary!). I don't know how long the new Fisher Price Sparkling Symphony plays for - anyone know? I'm looking for something that will play long enough for the baby to fall asleep if it's not asleep when put down (esp as they get older) and those windups only play one song and then they are done.

If you've got any mobile advice, I'd love to hear! thanks!

akc

egoldber is offline Black Diamond level (25,000+ posts)

Default RE: CUTE Long-playing crib Mobiles w/batteries???

Several of my friends have the Tiny Love Symphony mobile. I believe it plays for 15 minutes. Also, several of them have recently had parts on the mobile break (after approx. 7 months of use), but have said that Tiny Love was great about sending out a replacement part right away. (Which leads me to think this is a known problem to them.)

I have a regular CD player (boom box type thing) in the nursery and just keep a stack of classical CDs in her dresser and use those. That way I get 60+ minutes of music. I also use it to help me informally time her naps (this nap went all the way through Vivaldi, but the morning nap didn't quite last all the way through the CD...)

I have one of the "developmental" mobiles (although I guess it is really a stabile since it doesn't move) which she adores. Mine came with multiple cards so that you can add color and pattern complexity at developmentally appropriate times.

HTH,
    Beth, mom to older DD (8/01) and younger DD (10/06) and always missing Leah (4/22 - 5/1/05)

egoldber is offline Black Diamond level (25,000+ posts)

OK, I went back and re-read your original post and realized I answered the wrong question. :-)

You don't specify WHICH FP Sparkling Symphony product. Do you mean the FPSS Gym? the FPSS piano? They make a ton of toys in the SS line (too many in my opinion). In general I would recommend NONE of these as a crib toy for helping baby sleep. Many of my Mommy friends, however, swear by the FP Peaceful Planet Aquarium. It hangs on the side of the crib and plays either music or soft water sounds that is supposed to lull baby to sleep. I think this is a nice toy that if I had known about before my baby was already a few months old, I would have gotten.

HTH,
    Beth, mom to older DD (8/01) and younger DD (10/06) and always missing Leah (4/22 - 5/1/05)

akc Guest

Hi - Actually, your answer was referring to the right thing and was helpful. :) I meant the Sparkling Symphony crib mobile (with a remote control). I was hoping b/c of the remote control thing it would play longer, but I think it only plays for 5 mins or so. I also wondered about the Soothing Surroundingsā„¢ Starry Night Mobile with Remote Control?

I have heard the same about the Peaceful Planet - it works great for my neighbor who's son is 18 mos and loves it.

I guess it seems like Tiny Love is the only name in the game for 15 min mobiles (other than getting a regular mobile and then using a CD player near or away from the crib.)

More thoughts?
    akc

muskiesusan is offline Platinum level (1000+ posts)

I bought the Peaceful Planet Aquarium after all my friends raved about how great it was at helping their babies fall asleep. I didn't have such luck and ended up returning it. The concept is great, but the sounds play for about 7 minutes and then quickly shuts off. Well, that was too short of a time period to do anything, so I was constantly going in and turning it back on. It also eats up batteries, which are a pain to change-the unit can be hard to get on and off the crib and the battery cover is screwed on. I think the unit would be better if it had different time settings to play and also if it gradually decreased in volume as the sounds play.
    I have the Tiny Love Symphony mobile, which plays for about 15 minutes. I don't use it at bed though, I think it stimulates my baby too much.

Susan
    Mom to 3 boys

suzska Guest

We have the one from Sassy. Here's the link to Amazon/BabiesRUs:
    http://www.amazon.com/exec/obidos/AS...351979-4555255

It plays for 10 minutes. One of the nice features is that it gets softer for the last minute or so. It plays 3 different things: 1) Mozart, 2) Ocean Waves/White Noise, and 3) Medley of 3 "Childrens" songs.

The plastic things hanging from the mobile may not interest adults (I found the smiley face a little "garish"), but my son loved them. He would smile at the face as it went around and came into his line of sight. There are two sides to them--simple designs for younger babies and more "complex" design for older babies. They can also be removed when the child is older and used as rattling toys--my son still plays with them/chews on them.

Once you remove the toys you can still use the music box, either attached to the crib, or on a table/dresser, as just that--a music box.

It comes with a remote control that has the same buttons as on the unit itself, but the range for the remote isn't that good. My son likes to walk around carrying the remote unit now.

Both the mobile and remote run on batteries.

What else can I tell you? My DH is VERY picky about music, and really liked the sound of this one--he picked it out!

I originally wanted one of those cute ones with bears on it, but I'm glad we got this one instead. I also liked that there were no strings to worry about if my son decided to pull himself up long before he should (which he didn't).

I recommend this one every chance I get!!!

--Sue B.
    SAHM to Evan Jeffrey 03-11-01