Riley717 Guest

Default Toy Recommendation for 6-month old

Just looking for some toy recommendations for a 6-month old boy.

Seems like he is getting bored with the toys to lay under & rattles but is he too early for building blocks & electronic toys.

Please help this 1st Time Mom.

Thanks!

Stephanie

Cara Guest

Default RE: Toy Recommendation for 6-month old

At 6 months my baby loved the twirlin' whirlin' garden by Fisher Price. She played with it regularly for over a year and she still uses it occasionally (she is almost 2 now). Beware: it is noisy!

http://www.fisherprice.com/us/produc...p?demoid=13000

danielleh Guest

Hi,

My DS really liked (and still does like) cups. I have a set of the Sassy stacking cups, but he is just as happy with any plastic cup. He also liked the Lamaze clutch cube, the Sassy chime ball and the Tolo activity triangle.

HTH,

Danielle
    mom to Jimmy born 8/29/02

brubeck Guest

At this age my daughter was just learning how to (tripod) sit. I gave her the classic Fisher Price Stacking Rings ($5 or less in any toy store) and she loved them. They also encouraged her to sit because she wanted to be upright and also use her hands to manipulate them. You can buy these in the classic version or pay a little more and get them with music and/or lights, or with characters on them.

This was also the age at which she started to enjoy fabric books.

shanesmom Guest

My son loved the cruise and crawl playground...It's awesome and at 13 ms. he's still using it on a daily basis!

mama2be Guest

i just purchased 8 skwishes from manhattan toys for babies...a baby came here the other day and everyone including adults wanted it!!!

peterkin Guest

At 6 months, my DD started sitting up well & so she started liking Baby's First Blocks (Fisher Price) -- just reaching, grabbing, moving from one hand to the other, then banging them together. Still a popular toy at 7.5 months. I also started giving her other things to hold or bang, like plastic spoons or saucepan lids or measuring cups. And I just got her a little plastic ball that has a bell in it (Sassy, from BRU), some stacking cups, and another rattle type toy that makes 3 different sounds.

She also liked sitting up & playing with her gymini (hanging) toys.

She also started liking fabric or plastic or board books (but she slobbers all over them so the board books get yucky). Just turns the pages back and forth.

The Playskool Tummy Time Picture Show is still popular, whether she's on her tummy or sitting up beside it.

Her Evenflo Ultrasaucer is quite popular. She started liking that at about 5-6 months but now bounces up & down in it.

Mostly since she started sitting well at 6 months but is still not crawling, just rolling a bit, she does a lot of things with her hands, so anything geared toward fine motor skills are a hit with her.

Ruth/Kay 09/14/02

atlbaby Guest

When she was born, Arielle was given a toy from Fisher Price called Sparking Symphony Compose and Play Orchestra and I brought it out at 6 months. She LOVED it form many months to come! Here's what it looks like:
    http://www.amazon.com/exec/obidos/tg...056852-4292157

Also, the stacking rings from FP that Helen recommended are great. I initially got her the ones that make noise when baby removes/puts on a ring, but she quickly learned to just press the little button to make the music and never tried to stack them! So I found the "plain" ones at KB Toys (cheaper too!) and they worked better.

HTH!

-Rachel
    Mom to Arielle Jill, 10/30/01
    #2:) EDD 10/24/03

Riley717 Guest

Thanks for everyone's help.....I'm heading out to the mall this weekend, so keep 'em coming :)

Steph

I really like the Parents Alphablock Sorter. I bought it at BRU. The set consists of 8 soft foam blocks, approximately 3"x3". They come in a plastic carrying bag with handle. 6 of the blocks have removable shapes (2 triangles, 2 circles and 2 squares). There are 3 teething shapes and 3 rattles. Even though DS is teething, he likes the rattles the best. The blocks have numerals 1-10 and letters A-Z, along with colorful pictures corresponding to the letters or numbers. The sides of the blocks have diffferent textures as well. The blocks can be rolled, shaken, mouthed, stacked and knocked down.

And, he loves the Leapfrog Leapstart Learning Table. He plays with it all the time. So, I gave you suggestions for blocks and an electronic toy. LOL DS also liked the Skwish a lot at 6 months. He also liked anything with buttons, like our remotes and cordless phones. You can give him an old remote without batteries or there are lots of toys that mimic these household items (although my DS likes the real thing best :)). The other thing that entertained DS for long stretches (and still does) is Tiny Love's 1-2-3 Discovery Lane. He really likes pulling off the velcro shapes (which you could probably make yourself for less money).
    Mommy to Justin (13 years) & Ashlyn (8 years)