durga8 Guest

Default How useful is a playpen/playyard?

DS is 6m old and I am wondering how necessary a pack n play is. Is it mainly a good investment for travel? How useful is it around the house? We live in a pretty small home, so don't need to go up and down stairs.

What is a good one to buy?
    thanks,
    durg8

Default RE: How useful is a playpen/playyard?

Our PNP has 3 main purposes: 1) downstairs changing table; 2) travel bed; and 3) toy bin. I find it indispensible as a changing table because it keeps me from going up and down the stairs at every diaper change, but that doesn't appear to be an issue for you. I do use the PNP when we go on trips, mostly to visit relatives. You do need someplace for DS to sleep when on trips. Unless you always stay in a hotel and request a crib or can easily borrow something, you'll need something that you can tote along. I seldom used the PNP as a place for DS actually to play. He doesn't like to be confined, so that didn't work. However, that depends on the disposition of your child. My nephew is content to play in the PNP for extended periods.

If you get one, the Grace Pack 'n Plays are nice and fold up fairly easily. At this point, you can probably go with a basic one as you really don't need a bassinet or changing table feature.
    Mommy to Justin (13 years) & Ashlyn (8 years)

jubilee Guest

I only just recently started using it, and my son is 8 months. I put the play-n-pak right next to the master bathroom, so while I shower and get ready I can keep an eye on the baby. I started using it because he scoots around and gets into stuff if I just lay him down in the bedroom.

s7714 is offline Ruby level (4000+ posts)

Echoing a previous post, ours functions mainly as a downstairs changing table and toy bin too. We do take ours when we visit people to use as nap/sleeping area, but that's not often. We did also use the bassinette feature for the first two months while DD slept in our room.

DD refuses to just play in the thing now though, probably because she's used to her huge Superyard playpen. I know some children who don't mind it though, so I'm sure it just depends on your little one.

If you're going to be doing traveling, the PNP is a good investment because you'll always have a safe sleeping spot for her. If you're not going to be doing a lot of traveling and don't need to have a secondary changing station in your house I'd recommend simply going with a play yard like the Superyard. It would be cheaper than buying the PNP.

Edited to add: If you do go with a PNP, I'd go with a basic model, and don't bother getting the ones with all the bells and whistles, like vibration, music, etc. Mine does have the parent caddy on the end, and it's nice for holding diapers, but I have a table set up nearby anyway to hold the wipes and things that DD tries to grab (but shouldn't) when she's on the table. I found the mobile to be pointless, because DD hardly ever looked at it and you have to spin the thing manually. I think mine was called the Nursery Time edition. I believe they sell versions that don't have the bassinette too, which you might want to look at since it sounds like your DS would be past the age/size of using that feature anyway.

Jennifer

Annalia 03/03/03

ncmommy Guest

We have found it to be a very useful investment! I wouldn't do without it. When DS was a newborn, we used the bassinet feature all the time - easier on your back for changing diapers. It also gave us a great place to lay him down in the family room, without having to bend down to put him on the floor. I also think you need a place to put baby to sleep when you travel. We have used it in hotels and relative's homes. We also take it with us if we are going to visit grandma for the day...to use for naps. Also, now that DS is crawling around and getting into things, I really find that I need a place to put him so I can run to the bathroom, or just take something out of the oven. I don't leave him in there for a long time or anything, but he's fine there for a few minutes, and I can feel comfortable leaving the room if I need to. I know most of us could fill our homes with every baby product under the sun, - most of which we could do without, but I'm glad we didn't skimp on this one.

durga8 Guest

I appreciate all your responses.
    thnx,
    durga8

We used ours in the beginning a lot and it has been down in the basement for a few months now. We use it when we travel and Ryan sleeps comfortably on the bottom since he has way outgrown the bassinette part. Today we were down in the basement organizing some things and we set it up as a playpen for the very first time. I got some of his toys and he was a happy camper playing in it for about 45 minutes which is a world record for him since he hates playing alone.

I think if you can get one for a good price you may get some use out of it! :)

We have a graco and are really happy with it. It has wheels on one end and we just zipped him from one end of the basement to the other and he thought it was a new ride and laughed the whole time.

Mom to R and R

amp Guest

We used ours daily for the first 6 mths of Jake's life, but we have a 2 story house, so it was our downstairs diaper changing area and all purpose place to safely put him when I wasn't holding him, as well as a downstairs napping area. Now he's napping strictly in his crib and his diper gets changed either upstairs or on the floor downstairs. We use it only for travel right now. So, for us, it was a lifesaver, but if you don't plan to use it at home, it would likely only get used for travel or for all day visits where you might want to nap him. Only you know if you travel or visit people enough to make this worth your while.

sntm is offline Diamond level (5000+ posts)

jack's not much older, but we don't have one and haven't needed one for traveling. my mom has a crib for him, but whenever we travel he usually ends up in bed with us.
    our house is small but 2 story. going upstairs for diaper changes is one of the few times i get any exercise :o
    shannon
    not-even-pregnant-yet-overachiever
    trying-to-conceive :)
    PREGNANT! EDD 6/9/03
    mama to Jack 6/6/03