Page 3 of 11 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 ... LastLast
    slknight is offline Platinum level (1000+ posts)

Default A crafty alternative...

Thanks so much for this thread. All the kitchens are gorgeous. Unfortunately, I like the most expensive ones.:(

Anyway, here's another alternative if you're crafty. The instructions are from Family Fun:

http://familyfun.go.com/decorating-i...02_proj_kitch/

http://www.windsorpeak.com/dc/user_files/15256.jpg

jec2 is offline Emerald level (3000+ posts)

Default RE: Comprehensive Wooden Play Kitchen Thread

Wow, this is a great price!
    Juliet, mama to DS 10/03 & DS 11/06

vpalmer is offline Platinum level (1000+ posts)

Default RE: Small World Toys Kitchen, added my own Pic

Pamela,

Thanks for the info and picture. So far, I think this kitchen is still in the lead for me. :- )

Veronica
    Mom to Eva

Default Why wooden kitchens?

Amy,

I suspect everyone has their own opinion on the wood vs. plastic debate, but here are some of the reasons I chose wood.

1) Aesthetics - Kitchens are so large and take up so much room, in my mind it is kind of like buying a piece of furniture for your child's room (or wherever). I would like it to look nice since it will be such a focal point.

2) Lack of stickers and noises - Eva has lots of plastic toys (Leap Start Table, Little People Sets, etc) but I think it is good to have a balance between wood and plastic toys. The Step 2 kitchen is the only plastic kitchen I have looked out closely and it seems like over time the stickers would peel off and become unsightly. Also, I think that a kitchen especially is a great opportunity to spark the imagination and all the noises seem to take some of the creativity out of the play, IMO, at least.

3) Longevity - Wooden kitchens are less trendy looking (there are exceptions of course) and better made (also are exceptions) and seem to be an item I could keep for 10 years easily and still be a fun toy to play with. We are planning on an approximate 5 year spread between kids so I see this purchase as a long term investment.

Anyway, these are just my thoughts and I in no way mean to imply that a plastic kitchen is somehow substandard in anyway. This is just the thoughts that went into my decision making process.

Veronica
    Mom to Eva

Default Anyone have the Constructive Play Things Classic Wood Kitchen?

I have to say, I love the way this kitchen looks! I was really drawn to the Land of Nod kitchen, but there is no way I can justify the almost $500 price tag, especially when I like the Small World Toys kitchen almost as much and it is less than $300. But this kitchen is almost as cute as the Land of Nod kitchen and it only costs $150! I did notice that assembly is required. The less expensive wooden kitchens seem to state this whereas the more expensive ones do not. That is really not a big deal though. I would worry more about the sturdiness of the kitchen. Does anyone have this or have you seen it IRL?

Veronica
    Mom to Eva

Default RE: Small World Toys Kitchen - Is assembly required?

To all owners of this kitchen,

Did the kitchen come constructed, or was assembly required? If you had to assemble it, how long did it take?

Thanks in advance,

Veronica
    Mom to Eva

Default RE: Comprehensive Wooden Play Kitchen Thread

Great research, Veronica!

At what age do you all think a child would start to enjoy something like this? And how long does the interest last--years?

NEVE and TRISTAN Guest

Default my fav -GREAT THREAD GOOD JOB!!!!!

I love this set...
    I have mine that my dad made in childhood but I sure do love this set!!!

What a fantastic thread!!!
    Great job!!!!
    Neve and Tristan born Feb 25, 2003
    * EDD 3/19/05 IT'S A GIRL
    * DOSSIER IN THE HANDS OF TRANSLATOR

http://home.nc.rr.com/ourbabytristan

redhookmom is offline Sapphire level (2000+ posts)

Default RE: Anyone have the Constructive Play Things Classic Wood Kitchen?

A little friend of ours just got this set for her birthday. It took her Dad 2-3 hours to put together, I am not sure if he is a handy guy to begin with. The set seems quite sturdy. My only "complaint" is that the oven door opens like a cabinet instead of downward.

Molly
    pack of kids ranging from age 1 to age 13

Default RE: Anyone have the Constructive Play Things Classic Wood Kitchen?

Thanks Jessica for your insight. I'm glad to hear that the set is sturdy. It is so hard to tell without seeing a set IRL. You know, I don't have any real world experience, but I read on the boards a while back that an oven that opens like a cabinet is actually a good thing because lots of toddlers like to use the oven doors as a ladder. Anyone have any insight into this?

Veronica
    Mom to Eva

Page 3 of 11 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 ... LastLast