Setimama Guest

Default DS has to stop using a pacifier. How did YOU do it?

I posted this in the Lounge also, but in case that wasn't the right place to post it, am putting it out here also.

DS went to his 2 yr. dentist checkup today. The dentist said that his "MeMo" or pacifier is causing problems with his bite (his top teeth form a bridge and don't come even close to touching his bottom teeth)and that he needed to stop using it.

I know, I had all the best intentions to stop using it before 6 months, but well...I didn't.

I tried putting him down for his nap today without it saying that we were "out of MeMo's" but finally broke down and gave it to him. (lots of things going on - opening a new business, my parents living with us for the next three weeks, my father in law coming out of the hospital today and staying with us also for the next week or so, etc. etc. ). I thought I would wait until things quieted down here (maybe an excuse for me?

Anyway I hope some of you more seasoned moms can help me. I REALLY would love and appreciate some advice on this.

Setimama

cartersmom Guest

Default RE: DS has to stop using a pacifier. How did YOU do it?

We had to do the same thing with one of my kids and we started with a week where we would only let him have it at bedtime. After that we got rid of them all, literally threw them away so that we couldn't give in. After two difficult nights he understood that there were no more binkies and stopped even asking for them.

Way back when, DD uesd her "po-po" when "lounging", sleeping, and in the car. When she got a bit bigger, it was just car and crib. Then we went down to just crib (I was no longer working and DD and I no longer had our 3-4hr round-trip commute).

I introduced a "lovey" in the form of a soft doll with whom she slept when she was around 14 mos. I also would talk with her from time to time about the progression of her relationship with po-po (e.g., remember when you used to need po-po lots and lots, and then you didn't need po-po in the car anymore? One day you might not even need po-po at night night time.")

It got to a point when bedtime meant Mimi (doll) and po-po. One day at nap time (age 22 mos or so) I just said, "why don't we try no po-po today?" She said ok, much to my shock and just cuddled up with her Mimi. In the days that followed, she would occasionally ask about po-po and I would just remind her that she didn't need po-po any more (then I'd offer her Mimi). It's been 2-3 months now and it just hasn't been an issue any more. Occasionally she'll find one around the house say, "po-po!" and pop it in her mouth for a second, but then she quickly relinquishes it.

Good luck to you!
    -Corrie
    Mama to my three:
    DD 2/2003
    DD 5/2006
    DS 3/2010

I have had 2 kids that were VERY attached to 'binkeys'. My oldest who is 13 now still talks about how we tricked her! I could not get her to give it up for anything. Finally, I took the sissors and cut the tip of it off. there was still some binkey left, just cut the very tip a bit. I gave it to her, she sucked on it and declared it broken. I did that to all of them. Whe didnt like the 'broken' ones, so she gave it up after a day! My youngest daughter was worse...to the point that one night i could no find a binkey to save my life..even though i KNOW I had at least 10 of them SOMEWHERE! We had to make a midnight trip to the 24 hr Kmart to get new ones...yes...it was that bad!! Anyway, we did the same with her. Cut the tip off, and she gave it up in a day. I hope this works for you! I am so thankful that the boys never took to a binkey or thumb sucking. They have lovey blankets. I would hate to have to go thru 2 kids at once getting rid of the binkey!!

Good luck!!!

Jennifer

whittyanne Guest

We still use a binky (we call it his "nuk" and I know I have to start phasing it out soon.) Someone recommended cutting the tip off - it won't suck well for them and then they end up thinking it's broken.

I've been slowly trying to put him down for naps and at night without it and he's getting there...