LucyG is offline Sapphire level (2000+ posts)

Default Are IKEA train sets compatible with . . .

the wooden Thomas and Friends tracks and trains? I'm thinking of the $15 starter set from IKEA. Thanks!

http://www.gynosaur.com/assets/ribbons/ribbon_sapphire_24m.gif[/img][/url]
    2 years and counting!

brittone2 is offline Blue Diamond level (20,000+ posts)

Default RE: Are IKEA train sets compatible with . . .

We only have IKEA track/trains and a few Thomas engines/cars so far, but we just picked up two Thomas sets for DS for Christmas.

The Thomas cars will fit fine on the Ikea track. The only problem is that the figure 8 set from IKEA includes a small bridge that the trains can go under. The train that comes with the Ikea set will fit under it, but the Thomas engines/cars are too tall (at least the ones we have). The figure 8 basically loops back under the bridge I believe. However, they can go over the bridge fine and depending on how you configure the set, you can still use it.

The track isn't as nice as the THomas track from what I can tell but I still think it is a nice starter set. We started w/ IKEA to see how much interest DS would have. He's 17 months now and his interest has really picked up in it, so we're now splurging for some real Thomas stuff :) I'm not sure if you can intermix the Thomas track w/ the Ikea track...haven't tried it yet. But the Thomas cars will work on the Ikea track for sure.

HTH
    Mama to DS-2004
    DD-2006
    and a new addition-ds born march 2010

Yes, they are compatible. But like Beth said, the trains cannot go under the bridge. We have a Ikea ferry that is also too low. But it is a good starter set. I still recommend the Thomas Figure 8 set though. I think it is a steal and the quality is top-notch.

LucyG is offline Sapphire level (2000+ posts)

We picked up the set yesterday, and DD is thrilled with it! I have a big Maxim set in the attic to give her for Christmas, but she is really getting into her trains, so I wanted to get a small set for now.

http://www.gynosaur.com/assets/ribbons/ribbon_sapphire_24m.gif[/img][/url]
    2 years and counting!

brittone2 is offline Blue Diamond level (20,000+ posts)

Cool :) I was just looking up old train threads today in search of something and I saw a post saying that the Ikea track can be fit together w/ the Thomas track but it takes some angling of the pieces, so it would be tricky for a kiddo most likely. But apparently they can fit together according to someone :)

Mama to DS-2004
    DD-2006
    and a new addition-ds born march 2010