Default Anyone have a fool-proof BUBBLE recipe?

DD is a bubble addict and I've found that not all store-bought bubbles are made the same. Some are good, some aren't (Mr. Bubble is currently in the lead).

I'd like to make my own. I've seen some recipes on-line, but thought I'd ask here for the "best" one!

DD tends to eat them, so it would need to be safe, but I wouldn't mind if it tasted bad. I'm trying to teach her "icky." :)

Fancy Nancy 8/04
    Snuggle Puppy 5/07
    "You know, you really wear me out. But I love you anyway."

DebbieJ is offline Diamond level (5000+ posts)

Default RE: Anyone have a fool-proof BUBBLE recipe?

I have no recipes, but wanted to add that the bubbles from Gymboree are the BEST!!!

~ deb
    DS born at home 12/03
    Breastfed for 20 months and 6 days

http://www.bfar.org/members/fora/sty...onths-bfar.jpg

The recipe I use comes from the book "How to Make Monstrous, Huge, Unbelievably BIG Bubbles" by David Stein and Klutz Press. The book comes with a "bubble thing" which can make the giant bubbles. I highly recommend the book and toy- I have had SO much fun with them over the years! Kids and adults both have a blast- I bet your daughter would love it. The bubble recipe works fabulously for small bubbles, too.

The recipe in the book makes a bucketful of solution, but I bet you could change "cups" to "parts" and make how much or little you need:
    1 cup soap
    12 cups water (up to 50% more on dry days)
    1/4 cup glycerine (optional, but good)

For the big bubbles, they recommend the blue Ultra Dawn dishsoap. Second best is Ivory dishsoap. They also recommend letting the solution sit overnight.

Seriously, this bubble thing is a blast. Little kids love to play in the big bubbles you make, and older kids make their own.

Kit

Littleman 10/03, Mr. Sweetcheeks 08/05, Babyman 11/07

oooh - thanks!

Dumb question: What is glycerin? (I mean, I've heard of it, but how is it sold (bag, jar, bottle, box)? Are there various brands?) Is it sold in supermarkets?
    Fancy Nancy 8/04
    Snuggle Puppy 5/07

The Gymboree ones -- are they sold year-round or just seasonallyl? I don't know of a plya-gym near me, but we have a clothing store.
    Fancy Nancy 8/04
    Snuggle Puppy 5/07

Here's a description of what glycerin is on Casey Carle's website:
    Glycerin [GLISS-er-inn] helps slow down the evaporation of water adding color to the bubbles. Glycerin is not really needed on days of high humidity because evaporation is slowed down naturally. Find glycerin in the skin care section of most pharmacies. It is perfectly safe to use but too much can make your formula too heavy. It's possible to substitute white Karo Syrup (cheaper) but it will attract more unwanted flying and crawling insects. I do not use it.

For more bubble recipes, I found these links:
    http://www.tomnoddy.com/kids.html

and

http://www.bubblemania.com/faq/solution.html
    He has a special note regarding the new reformulated Ultra Dawn and Ultra Joy you should see so you avoid disappointment.

We actually caught Casey Carle's show this summer and he's awesome and a TOTAL HIT with the kids. His book Bubbleology sold out in minutes and I've been thinking about getting it.

One trick I noticed during his show is that he wraps a heavy cotton twine/string around the edges of the big bubble wands (like the kinds you use on the lawn) and it seemed to be the trick on keeping the solution on the ring. (This is also on his FAQ page.) Mine always seem to pop before I get to wave it in the air to make a bubble which is so frustrating!

BTW, for store-bought, I also second the Gymboree bubbles. They're the BEST, even better than the Gazillion bubbles. The Gymbo bubbles just last forever and they don't pop on impact. You'll also notice the Gymbo solution isn't as watery as the others - it's really viscous and thick.

CBB is offline Gold level (500+ posts)

I also want to add that Gymboree bubbles rocks! The bubbles stay for hours. I don't get other brands any more since I used them. They are sold in my local gymboree store. If you do end up getting them, I would suggest you get the kit with the bubble blower to start and get refill bottles later. I'm not sure they are safe to eat though. I wonder if they use the same ingredient as bubble gums since when the bubbles pop, sometimes they leave a tiny thin string like the bubble gums.
    Li
    Baby Jasmine 3/18/04
    Baby Justin 9/18/07

Okay, I think I am sold on the Gymboree ones. How funny that they are so popular!
    I'll look for them next time at at the mall.
    Thanks for all the suggestions!

I would love to make my own too... I'm gonna keep those great hints and plan to make them when kiddo is a bit bigger.
    Fancy Nancy 8/04
    Snuggle Puppy 5/07

Marisa, they are above the TV by the boy sales rack in UTC mall Gymboree store.
    Mom to DS born on Thanksgiving 2003

Ah.... in the boys section! Thanks! I don't think I ever look there! ;)
    Fancy Nancy 8/04
    Snuggle Puppy 5/07