Default Need reliable, easy to use ,under arm thermometer quick!

Please help with what has worked well for you.

Susan

#1 Nick 11-18-04
    #2 ETA 05-22-06

eb1 is offline Gold level (500+ posts)

Default RE: Need reliable, easy to use ,under arm thermometer quick!

We have the First Years 10-second digital one...it's small, generally found in the baby section rather than with regular thermometers. I can't rave about it, but honestly, I can't rave about any thermometer! You can also use this model very easily for a rectal thermometer, since it has a flexible stem.

We switched to the Exergen Temporal Artery (the kind you swipe over the forehead) when DS wouldn't tolerate an underarm reading anymore, but it generally reads higher than an underarm thermometer.

I've found digital thermometers to be a little off, no matter what, and sometimes it helps (if possible) to leave the thermometer in place a little past the beeping as the temp. will generally still rise a bit if held in place.

Good luck!

o_mom is online now Pink Diamond level (15,000+ posts)

I swear by BD brand - I have used their basal and regular themometers and they are fast and reliable. They beep every four seconds while taking the temp and then have a reasonably loud end beep.

We also have a couple other ones from hospital stays and they are horrible. They take 3-5 min and sometimes never get "done". One has such a soft beep that you can't hear it when it is finished and when holding it under a toddler arm you can't always see it.

AddiesMom is offline Platinum level (1000+ posts)

The BD one mentioned above got the best review in Consumer Reports. They come in Sponge Bob or Dora for about $7.
    - Michelle

Addison 11/9/05

Go Red Sox!