Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 LastLast
    annasmom is offline Sapphire level (2000+ posts)

Default And, yet another one for consideration!!

Someone also mentioned the Playaround sets that are made by Cedarworks to me:

http://www.playaround-swingsets.com/swingsets/index.php

Does anyone know anything about these sets???
    Eileen

DD - 6 y.o.
    DS - 4 y.o.
    DS - 2 y.o.
    DD - 8 months

dules Guest

Default RE: And, yet another one for consideration!!

Me again, lol! See this thread on the toddler board for very positive reviews.

http://www.windsorpeak.com/dc/dcboar...ode=full&page=

Can you tell I scoured these boards for every bit of information? LOL.

Best,
    Mary

Mary, thanks so much for all of the great information. I just read the thread, and your response re the weight limits. I get a bit concerned about the sizes and weight limits of the less expensive sets because we will have 3dc, and goodness knows I am ALWAYS sliding down or climbing up with someone. Did you find that the less expensive sets were smaller??

ETA: Mary, one more thing - did you see a Cedarworks set IRL before you ordered??
    Eileen

DD - 6 y.o.
    DS - 4 y.o.
    DS - 2 y.o.
    DD - 8 months

AmyZ is offline Gold level (500+ posts)

We passed on that one because I think the size is geared for smaller kids. Make sure you check the dimensions. For us, DIY projects were not an option, so that is one reason I didn't do the Sunray. Also, I really wanted to clubhouse style.

Amy Z

"Ma!" to Eliana 2/04 - She's 2!
    http://www.gynosaur.com/assets/ribbons/ribbon_gold_12m.gif[/img][/url]

Karenn is offline Sapphire level (2000+ posts)

Default RE: Rainbow v. Cedarworks Playsets

Here's my 2 cents. :) If money were no object, I would have gotten a cedarworks set. I love the sure step system and the fort fences. I also just like the look of them better, especially the way that the wood turns to silver.

BUT, money was an object, so I got the Sunray from Costco. I too spent hours on-line and on the phone with both rainbow and cedarworks and the sunray seemed like the best bang for your buck. To get the same thing from rainbow would have been close to $3000 here, and probably more through cedarworks. Out here, you can actually buy the Sunray through the local rainbow dealer too. They charged $1800 and offered free installation. The main differences I saw between the Sunray, and a similar set that rainbow also makes were: no disc swing and a 15 year warranty rather than lifetime. Interestingly, the rainbow salesman insisted that their sets could be allowed to weather and wouldn't require maintence like re-staining, but DH will probably stain our set again in a couple of years anyway.

I highly recommend going to the rainbow showroom, no matter what you decide. There were probably 30+ sets all assembled just waiting to be played on. My kids had a blast! They cried when we had to leave. And, I agree with the PP who said that seeing the sets in real life was what actually got DH on board. He went from thinking plastic Little Tikes would be fine, to *needing* monkey bars and swings that could hold adults. ;)

smilequeen is offline Diamond level (5000+ posts)

It's a tough choice. I have gone over and over so many different sets. We are ordering soon (as soon as I know when my backyard will be ready...our landscaper is going to make a rubber chip play area for it) and we decided on Cedarworks. The sure step system and the fort fences sold me. For older kids I probably would have gotten something a little less pricey, but since Simon is only 1.5 and a major climber/fearless toddler, I wanted those extra features. A friend of ours has a very cool Rainbow set, but their youngest is 7.
    Mama to my boys (04,07,11)

Default Question for those who chose Cedarworks!

You really have me thinking about this sure step system. I have gotten to the point that I do not think I can go to the playground with Kieran anymore. He can now climb the rock wall on the "big kid" playset unassisted. For crying out loud, Anna is not even old enough to be on that set, and here is my 1 1/2 year old climbing the rock wall!!

O.k., so here is my question, you have undoubtedly decided Cedarworks is a good decision for younger children, but do you think this set will last? Is the size and height going to be adequate when your dc are older?? I guess my point is, it is a LOT of money, I would hate it to only last a few years.

Thank you!! (once again!)
    Eileen

DD - 6 y.o.
    DS - 4 y.o.
    DS - 2 y.o.
    DD - 8 months

Default RE: Question for those who chose Cedarworks!

We bought the Cedarworks Tower w/slide, Sure Step system, extra fort fences and a yardarm for the baby swing when my oldest was 17 months old. She was immediately able to go to the top and use the slide and LOVED every minute. A few years later, we added a three step overhead ladder w/a horse swing for more play room.

We went and looked at Rainbow sets and I chose CW over Rainbow. I didn't like the open platforms on Rainbow, nor the ladders. Straight or vertical ladders are still ladders and it was the Sure Step System that I LOVED. I love that I can add on to my CW as we need/want to and I love how friendly the CW people are. When we got ready to move, we knew we were bringing our CW with us (a 6 hour trip!) and the movers needed to know how much the climber weighed. I called CW and the looked it up for me in minutes! :)

Now my oldest is 8.5 and she has two younger sisters and they ALL play on the set together and have a great time. My oldest is dyin' to have a rock wall and if I can get another referral (or do well on eBay! LOL) she's going to get one. :) I hang my mama swing from the yardarm, we have a horse swing, sling swing and a baby swing on the overhead ladder and there's always someone crawling across the top of the monkey bars or using the slide. One day last summer there were NINE kids ages 3 to 9 on my set! :D

It was worth EVERY penny!
    ~~AngelaS~~
    Mommy to 3 girls: A, G and M. (15, 11 and 8.5)

The education of all children, from the moment that they can get along without a mother's care, shall be in state institutions at state expense.
    – Karl Marx, "The Communist Manifesto"

cimberdog Guest

Also, some specific questions:

>Does anyone regret making this purchase? No, absolutely not! We bought the Rainbow Monster Castle, Supersized with all the Goodies. My oldest son LOVES the tire swing, they both love climbing it, swinging, and going down the slide.

>How did you decide on your package? We spoke to the salesperson at length, and determined that the tallest set we could afford would be the best and get the most longevity. The higher up the platform and swingbeams are, the higher they can swing, the more complex the climbing and the longer and faster the slide!

If I go to a salesroom, will I end up spending more money
    because of pushy salespeople? That depends. Our experience at Rainbow was terrific. We got all the information we needed and there was absolutely NO pressure to buy.

If choosing between Rainbow and Cedarworks, why did you choose
    one over the other? (They seem comparably priced?)I prefer the Rainbow name, and they are local here to us. They have really been wonderful to work with.

Have you been pleased with your purchase? Specifically,
    quality and safety? Yes! We did find that each year you should go through and tighten all the bolts again, since we have nasty winters here in MN and everything contracts and expands.

What would you have done differently?? If we could have afforded it, I would have gotten the King Kong set (6 foot platform versus the 5 foot high platform in the play area we have now), and I would have added the monkey bars and tube slide. I would love to put rubber mulch under it all, but that's a huge expense and DH still needs convincing. We did swap out the metal chain climber for some wooden steps and yellow rods for getting up to the platform easier (easier for the younger kids) and I am so happy we did that. But, my kids are too young for the monkey bars but they would love the additional fort and tube slide! Maybe next year. I'll attach a picture of what we have.

http://www.windsorpeak.com/dc/user_files/34240.jpg

http://www.windsorpeak.com/dc/user_files/34241.jpg

http://www.windsorpeak.com/dc/user_files/34242.jpg

rfeibelm Guest

Funny you posted this - as we also just went through this and now have a Rainbow Carnival Cottage model 204 in our yard! We spent slightly under $3000 installed until you count the rubber mukch and landscape timbers that we built the play area with (and then we've spent over $6000 total! Yikes!).

The one thing that I am upset about is that I changed out one swing for the baby bucket and the disc swing for a hammock swing for me. I can't use either as they were designed for taller swing arms! They both end up too low to the ground to use, so I've got to find one that will work.

Rachel

Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 LastLast