Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 LastLast
    AmyZ is offline Gold level (500+ posts)

Default RE: Rainbow v. Cedarworks Playsets

That is so funny that we got the same one! I hope that Rainbow will help you find a swing that works -- it doesn't make sense that they would let you buy something that is too low.

Amy Z

"Ma!" to Eliana 2/04 - She's 2!
    http://www.gynosaur.com/assets/ribbons/ribbon_gold_12m.gif[/img][/url]

rclasco Guest

We bought a Cedarworks set last August. No regrets - just wish our backyard accomodated the Jungle instead of the Climber :). The layout of our backyard determined the size (i.e., width) of our set. We have a Climber on one end & a Tower on the other with a 2-swing arm in the middle. My son & I picked out the options then I discussed them with our Cedarworks salesperson. I wanted to make sure I wasn't getting anything too young or too advanced for him. I have to say that the Cedarworks customer service was awesome. Our salesperson patiently worked with me over the 2 months it took me to finalize our set.

We also looked at Rainbows at a showroom. The salespeople were not pushy. In fact, I had to go find them to help me. I'm honestly not sure why we looked at Rainbows because I knew we weren't going to buy anything that required staining. Our neighbors have a Rainbow & they restained theirs after 1.5 yrs. Another neighbor on our street has one that is 1 yr old & it needs restaining. Additionally, I thought the Cedarworks options were more fun & unique.

Good luck!

Today we just bought the last Sunray at our Costco, in the Philly suburbs.

I really, REALLY wanted a cedarworks set. I was (and still am) totally sold on the sure set system and fort fences for safety. And I agree with the previous poster about their really cute and quite original accessories. I tried so hard, but every set I designed ended up between 3500 to 4000.

Ultimately, DH and I agreed that the Sunray was a very good value. A neighbor has one, and we know for a fact the kids will bump into each other when they are swinging (it happened all the time on their set) but even so, it does have a lot of bang for the buck. DH (who I just could not convince about the Cedarworks set) has said he will be in charge of staining it...we shall see.

Anyhow, after exhaustive research, if money were no object I would have gone with Cedarworks hands down. But the Sunray is a very functional set for a great price (when I started this I would never have said that 1300 for a swingset was a good price, who knew??).

Thankfully, we have a handyman who will assemble the Sunray for us for a very reasonable price. ds is sooo excited about it! Actually, although I am still recovering from the disappointment of not getting my carefully designed Cedarworks set, I am excited about the new set also.

Liz

rfeibelm Guest

No, it doesn't make sense and it really ticked me off that no one every mentioned it to me.

annasmom is offline Sapphire level (2000+ posts)

Default UPDATE: Rainbow v. Cedarworks Playsets

Well, I went to Costco this weekend (twice, lol!), and I completely fell in love with the Sunray set. The second time I went I brought my dh who is very against a swingset for us right now. His thinking is that our ds is just not ready for a swingset, and it will be more work for me than I anticipate because he will be all over the thing and I will be a nervous wreck. He has a point. Sooo, long story short, a purchase right now is out of the question. I haven't given up hope completely for the Fall, and I think I have him for next Spring definitely.

BUT, I am in complete SHOCK right now. I just got the 2006 Rainbow prices in the mail. I cannot believe how much these sets are! The set I am eyeing (Rainbow Castle Package II) is over $6k!!! The price increased by about $1,500 from last year! I knew the sets would be expensive, but I don't know how I am going to convince my dh of this!!

I just know we would get a ton of use out of a swing set, but WOW -- $6k???? I think I need some time to let it sink in.
    Eileen

DD - 6 y.o.
    DS - 4 y.o.
    DS - 2 y.o.
    DD - 8 months

Default RE: UPDATE: Rainbow v. Cedarworks Playsets

Do those prices include any discount? I'm not sure I have my pricelist anymore, but in April we bought the Sunshine Castle II loaded (I think it's pretty much the same as the Rainbow Castle, but one less swing and a smaller fort) and it was $3200. We also added a toddler swing which ended up coming with swing brackets, so now we actually have just as many swing stations as the bigger one (they put the toddler swing next to the disk swing on the extension).

The fort is plenty big enough for a few kids and maybe that would be an option for you? Seems like huge price difference between the two models and not a lot of actual physical difference?

Debbie
    http://b2.lilypie.com/BI7Tm5.png

dules Guest

Eileen, it's on sale in my district, which isn't far from you, for about $4599 (Page 28) or $4999 (Page 32-33). These are the May sale prices but when I picked up the June sheet they had extended the sale prices through July 5. Installation is $99.

When your district was cheaper than mine I called my store and made a stink and they promised to reduce the price to within $100, so maybe yours would too? (This is why I ultimately went with Cedarworks, lol, I don't like the wheeling and dealing on price).

Did you show DH the Cedarworks video with Sure Step?

Good luck!

Best,
    Mary

The prices I listed do not reflect the sale prices. There is currently a sale on until July 5th. However, I was hoping that I could get something a *little* less than $5k ON SALE!!!

After I posted though I did calm a bit and read some other posts. If I wait until a 30% off sale it will take a big bite out of the price. I am hoping that I can catch the Fall sale, or the Mid-Winter sale. If I remember correctly they had a sale last Winter where if you bought then, you could reserve that year's prices (and I hope on sale!!) and have it installed in the Spring.

Mary, I actually haven't gotten the Cedarworks info yet. The sure step is something I am very interested in. Although I love the "look" of Rainbow sets, I think my ds, and ds2, will get a lot more use out of any set we get if they can actually use it!

And, I actually don't know which "district" I am in. I only got one price list that supposedly covers all of Rainbow Direct - NY, NJ, CT, etc. I wonder if the individual showrooms then offer prices different from those listed? You would think that since I gave Rainbow Direct my address to get this information, they would direct me to the appropriate showroom, but I just got the entire listing of showrooms. Interesting, it really does seem like a racket.
    Eileen

DD - 6 y.o.
    DS - 4 y.o.
    DS - 2 y.o.
    DD - 8 months

Corie is offline Pink Diamond level (15,000+ posts)

Hey Eileen!

I absolutely love the look of the Rainbow playsets but
    I know that my husband would NEVER pay their prices!!

I'm sure that we will end up getting the Sunray playset
    from Costco. (which my husband still thinks costs too much
    money!)
    Corie

"A smile is a curve that can set a lot of things straight."
    -fortune cookie

Corie, have you seen it in person. It is awesome. I cannot believe how much *play* you get for the money. My only concerns with this set are that people have mentioned that the swings are too close together and that dc have to swing perfectly straight to avoid bumping each other. My 2 cannot avoid bumping into eachother in an enormous room, lol! Also, the height factor, whether the Sunray is big enough to last for years and years of use. All that being said, I was positively drooling over the thing, and Anna said emphatically "Can we take it home!?" Unfortunately I did not bring her back with me when I brought my dh, he has a MUCH easier time saying no to me!!

ETA: I should have said I cannot believe how much play you get for the money, when compared to regular Rainbow prices, because the set at Costco is by no means cheap!
    Eileen

DD - 6 y.o.
    DS - 4 y.o.
    DS - 2 y.o.
    DD - 8 months

Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 LastLast