clarapist Guest

Default washing machine: top loader vs front loader?

We've just moved into a new house and are buying a washer/dryer. I can't decide if stooping to put clothes in the washer is worth getting the extra efficiency. (I know we can get the pedestal, but I want to have the tops as space to put things). Can anyone convince me either way? :)
    THANKS!

Jill
    EDD 7/19/06

Kindra178 is offline Red Diamond level (10,000+ posts)

Default RE: washing machine: top loader vs front loader?

We got a Maytag Neptune that uses less water and is considered to be high efficiency and is a top loader.

eb1 is offline Gold level (500+ posts)

You might want to do a search limited to the Lounge -- there have been a lot of threads there about front loaders.

We recently switched from a top loading washer to a front loading washer (and bought the matching dryer). We skipped the pedestals, because like you, I wanted to be able to put things on the washer/dryer, perhaps even building a counter above at some point.

I wouldn't let "stooping" be the main factor in choosing what type of machine to get. Do you currently have a dryer with the opening in the front, rather than on top? If so, you're already stooping, I'd guess?

I haven't been able to determine how much energy savings we've had so far...so I'm no help there. I do like the machines better than our old ones, but honestly, I'm more thrilled with our new dryer than our new washer. I do like buying much less laundry detergent!

Good luck with your decision!

SpaceGal is offline Sapphire level (2000+ posts)

We have the LG front loader and I love it. I never had anything else tho. I did use washing machines at my SIL's house and she has a top loader and I hate the agitator sometimes clothes just don't get clean enough or the soap if it's powdered doesn't wash out well. I haven't had trouble with my front loader at all...I use less detergent and things come out clean for me. And it uses less water. I heard the the agitator also tends to rip clothes up in the long run and I always got my bra straps twisted up that thing.

Oh the only problem is when I wash like a bathroom rug...if I wash one alone, it seems to not be able to spin well...it gets unbalanced. But now I just make sure to wash rugs two at a time or so if you know what I mean. It kin dof works like a centrifuge so I make sure to balance it out when I do single articles...like rugs or mats.

We've had a Whirlpool Duet set for 2 years now and I love them. The stooping doesn't bother me (we do have the pedestals though). I was always leaning way into our top loader digging to get clothes out anyway so the way I look at it you either stoop or dig! The movement of pulling out of the front loader and tossing right into the dryer is easier then reaching and twisting with a top loader IMO.

Erika
    Mommy to Caroline Nov 03 and Chelsea April 05