BillK is offline Emerald level (3000+ posts)

Default Cedar Works vs. Rainbow vs. Backyard Adventures (pricing?)

We've been looking at swing/play sets for Zach - thinking that we'd possibly buy something this fall or winter for next spring.

As is normal - the prices have blown us away (but I think we'll recover eventually) - and we did get a chance to look at the Rainbow and Backyard Adventure sets in person.

After doing some searching on this forum I noticed many folks posting about how much they like their Cedar Works sets and figured I'd order their catalog.

I also did some very very basic design setups with their online design tool. I requested a price quote on the one basic setup I did and got a price back right away. HOLY MOLY it's a ton of dough compared to the Rainbow and Backyard Adventure sets ($4100 including the 10% discount vs. $2500-3000 for the other 2 systems comparable or slightly better equipped systems). The Cedar works is over 2x the cost of either of the other setups - with less "stuff" on the Cedar Works - PLUS - I'd have to build it myself. Does this sound right?

I was really hoping that the Cedar Works would be a bit less money than the other 2 systems - especially considering I'd have to build it myself. What have those of you with Cedar Works systems experienced pricewise vs. other systems you considered?
    ~Bill

dules Guest

Default RE: Cedar Works vs. Rainbow vs. Backyard Adventures (pricing?)

Hmmm, no, that doesn't sound right. Which are the Cedarworks sets you're looking at and which Rainbows? We just got our CW this summer for $3500 and it's more than enough for now and for my DD to grow into. I posted reviews and pics here a short while ago if you do a search.

Best,
    Mary

schums is offline Platinum level (1000+ posts)

We got a REALLY nice swingset from PlayNation (http://playnation.com/) that we've been thrilled with. It was less expensive (by quite a bit) than Rainbow, and we were able to take a "standard" set and customize for just a few hundred $$ more. Here's the one we got: http://playnation.com/ss-royal-palace.html Ours has a higher swing bar and a taller deck height than the one shown, and a different slide. The wood on their sets is guaranteed for life, and it seems to be excellent quality. Plus, all the sets are modular, so you buy what you want now, and can add on tons of stuff later (like climbing walls, additional decks, etc.)

Local distributors can either deliver it to you to build (we did this -- it wasn't too bad) or can assemble it for you.

HTH,
    Sarah
    Mom to Alex (3/2002) and Catherine (8/2003)

Thanks for the replies - I just called Cedarworks and was pretty much told that "we're known as the premier playset manufacturer and it would be normal for our prices to be much higher than any of the other manufacturers". (I guess he told me!) ;)

Oh well - I kind of liked the set up with Cedarworks but I just can't justify 4k+ for a set with less things on it than a Rainbow for 2.7k.
    ~Bill

Karenn is offline Sapphire level (2000+ posts)

Those prices match my experience. I didn't buy a Cedarworks, but I did design some sets on line and on the phone with a customer service rep. The cedarworks sets were all far more expensive than comparable Rainbow sets. We ended up with the Costco set, which was obviously much cheaper than both Rainbow and Cedarworks.

smilequeen is offline Diamond level (5000+ posts)

We are going with Cedarworks and I know it's expensive. For us, the toddler safety features are definitely worth it. Sure steps, fort fences, toddler slide, etc. If we had older kids though, I would have considered others more.
    Mama to my boys (04,07,11)

Karen - did you get the Sunray Premium Playgrounds system at Costco? This one? http://www.sunraypremiumplaygrounds.com/

I'm looking at that and the Rainbow catalog and I'm thinking that perhaps that's made by Rainbow for Costco to sell. I see both Rainbow and Sunray are located in the same city in SD.

Is that the case?
    ~Bill

dules Guest

Interesting. To get the features we got on our Cedarworks for $3500 we were looking at at least the same with Rainbow. However our Rainbow experience turned me off (sales people) like it sounds like Cedarworks sales did to you!

I'll PM you the name of our Cedarworks consultant, if you like. The first time I spoke to her I asked her why I should buy Cedarworks and not Rainbow or some other and she sold me right then and there -without discussing price or using pushy sales tactics. If you're not totally soured on CW from that guy on the phone (!), give her a call and see what you think.

Also, our original budget was $2200 then FIL stepped in to help. The CW consultant was able to create a set that fit our budget and our needs - then we expanded it to our new budget (lol).

Good luck!

Best,
    Mary

Karenn is offline Sapphire level (2000+ posts)

Yes, that's the one we got, and it is made by Rainbow. In fact, our Rainbow dealer actually sold the Sunray. They charged more for it than Costco ($1800, I think?) and then installed it "free." There are a few small differences between the Sunray and the comparable rainbow sets, but not enough to make up for the huge price difference, in my mind at least.

We've only had it a few months but I'm very pleased with it. And honestly, now that some of the "swingset fever" has worn off ;) I'm really glad we didn't go with something even more expensive.