Page 1 of 5 1 2 3 ... LastLast

Default Anyone use IKEA Expedit shelves to store toys?

If you put storage boxes in the shelves, what did you get that fit well? IKEA sells baskets (Branas) that fit perfectly, but cost $13 each, which really adds up if you buy many. They have a new semi-opaque plastic option, perfect fit, but $10 and very uglyl. Do other stores offer any wicker, canvas, or other bins that fit really well?

If anyone doesn't know if they have Expedit, here it is. We want the 58 inch one.
    http://www.ikea.com/webapp/wcs/store...umber=40047675

Also, any feedback about these shelves? There is no backing on them and I wonder if that will allow the wall behind to get marked up by toys being pulled ina and out. We also want to get a big one and house toys at the bottom and adult books and stuff on top. Any reason that might not work?
    Advice and commentary on living overseas

DD1 15, DD2 12, and DS 9

Default RE: Anyone use IKEA Expedit shelves to store toys?

We have the big one (I think—5 x 5) and do the same—adult type things are on the top shelves and kid things at the bottom. So far it's fine, but DS is only 15 months.

We have about 5 or so of the wicker baskets and about 5 or so of the red plastic ones. I didn't like those at first, but I saw them at someone else's house and they grew on me. The rest of the cubbies we just left open and put books or toys that don't fit well in a basket.

I haven't found anything else that fit well. I tried because I didn't want to spend $13 to fill each cubby either! I thought some crates might fit, but they were always a bit too big on some side. I'm sure there must be something out there though.

So far no markings on the wall. We also know someone that put a smaller one in the middle of her playroom so it's accessible from both sides. I thought of that too, but ours was too big to be sturdy free standing like that and it looked funny.

I think the markings might be inevitable, but maybe not. Depends what kind of toys are put in there. Ours is also a tiny bit pulled out from the wall (but strapped in above).

We've had it about three years, but just recently has DS been playing in and around it (the cats liked it though).

Debbie
    http://b2.lilypie.com/BI7Tm5.png

kelly ann is offline Platinum level (1000+ posts)

Ummmm...we have the ones you think are very ugly! We bought 4 bins and put them on the bottom shelves. Since it was for our playroom, it seemed more practical and fit with the kiddie decor.

Our walls have not gotten marked up yet, but I just figure we can repaint the wall if it gets bad. Also, I think it should work fine if you put adult books on top.

Maybe you can try the Container Store or a craft store for other alternatives for bins. However, it may be difficult to find something cheaper. I think the prices at IKEA are pretty good, but it does add up quickly when you want to buy more than a couple of bins.

Oops, insert foot in mouth for saying the plastic bins are ugly. I worried about them cracking, since they are rigid plastic, and the colors (red and clear) don't go with the look I want, which is probably my main beef with them. I'm surprised they don't make them in more colors.
    Advice and commentary on living overseas

DD1 15, DD2 12, and DS 9

Nemesia Guest

We bought some of these containers at Target for our Expedit shelves:

http://www.target.com/gp/detail.html...sin=B0009GC7ME

They fit nicely, and come in a wide variety of colors. Our Target store has them for about $5 each right now.

kelly ann is offline Platinum level (1000+ posts)

Don't worry Karen - I agree that they will not win any design awards :) However, I was stuck with putting the bins together and so many times I would hear cracks - but nothing was breaking. I guess they are pretty durable. But why did it take me longer to put together the bins than it did for DH to put the bookcase together?

Those Target bins that the PP posted about looks like a great solution.

dr mom is offline Platinum level (1000+ posts)

Default Expedit with Branas baskets and Lekman boxes (PICTURE)

We used Expedit in our playroom; after two months of very active play (including DS regularly scaling the face of the unit like a rock climber) there are no scratches on the wall, no scuffs on the unit itself. Ours is fastened to the wall, obviously. The walls are Behr paint in an eggshell finish, and have survived every variety of abuse a two-year-old boy can imagine.

I don't love the aesthetics of the Lekman (plastic) boxes, but I do like that they are transparent, so DS can easily find what he is looking for - and more importantly, has an inkling of where to put things away. One of these days, I'm going to put labels on the boxes.

For you Ikea fans, the hanging toy holder to the left is a Fangst, and the table and chairs are Svala.

http://www.windsorpeak.com/dc/user_files/35516.jpg
    Cindy, Mommy to DS 2/04 and DS 2/08

icunurse is offline Emerald level (3000+ posts)

Default RE: Expedit with Branas baskets and Lekman boxes (PICTURE)

Wow! I really like how that looks! Nice job! I've been telling DH what 'd like to do with the playroom that we are working on and this will give him a nice visual....thanks for sharing! :)
    Traci
    ~Connor's Mom 02/2004~
    Agency paperwork completed - waiting (and waiting) for another baby!

brittone2 is offline Blue Diamond level (20,000+ posts)

Default RE: Expedit with Branas baskets and Lekman boxes (PICTURE)

We have two of the Expedit shelves, same size as above (in white though) side by side.

We also have several of the same baskets, although we need to amass more. I actually swiped some from a jelly cupboard I was using them in, and have some on the Expedit shelf now. I need to buy more.

They fit great though.

We've had our Expedit system for close to a year now I think and it has held up very well for the price (we even paid to have it shipped, and Ikea shipping is often not cheap at ALL, but it was still a better deal than most other systems I could find for the price).

Mama to DS-2004
    DD-2006
    and a new addition-ds born march 2010

missy425 Guest

I have the large Expedit for DD's toys and also have adult stuff on top. I still have some empty cubes but I've only had the shelving unit for about a month. Anyway, I have some Sabrina baskets from PBK (large and medium) with books in them on the shelves as well as these canvas utility drawers from Bed Bath and Beyond. I bought them in the store and the price tag said $9.99 but when I got to the register, they rang up at $1.99 b/c I guess they are a clearance item. They fit in the cubes perfectly but definitely don't allow you to see what's inside. DD still hasn't figured out that they are filled with toys so I usually pull them out for her so she can explore. Good luck!
    http://www.bedbathandbeyond.com/prod...1&sku=13615985

Page 1 of 5 1 2 3 ... LastLast