Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 ... LastLast
    Tondi G is offline Red Diamond level (10,000+ posts)

Default RE: Expedit with Branas baskets and Lekman boxes (PICTURE)

Are the baskets in the outer shelves from IKEA as well or elsewhere?

thanks
    ~Tondi

brittone2 is offline Blue Diamond level (20,000+ posts)

Tondi-
    I can answer this as we have the same baskets. The outer "natural" style baskets are the Ikea Branas baskets. THey are the only type of container we have for our Expedit shelves so far but they are a great fit and relatively inexpensive. I need to get more the next time I'm near Ikea :)
    Mama to DS-2004
    DD-2006
    and a new addition-ds born march 2010

Tondi G is offline Red Diamond level (10,000+ posts)

Thanks Beth! when we are ready to ditch the crib and get our bunkbeds I want to get some of these shelves! Glad they have the baskets at IKEA too.... I hate having to run around buying and returning things if they don't work etc!

~Tondi

inmypjs is offline Sapphire level (2000+ posts)

Default RE: Anyone use IKEA Expedit shelves to store toys?

I have read all of your posts and I LOVE this storage system! It is just what we are looking for against the wall in our finished basement (which is quickly turning into a playroom). Unfortunately we do not live near an IKEA, and my question is do you think it would be worth it to have it shipped, or should I just look for something similar at stores we do have - ie Target, Lowes, Bed Bath and Beyond, etc? I really appreciate the picture, it helped me visualize what I want!

holliam Guest

I think Beth said it was worth it to her to ship, but I looked into it and concluded that I didn't want to pay that much in shipping. It was more than the shelves themselves when I priced it.

But, I'm not a huge Ikea fan in the first place. If you are, then it might be worth it!

On the other hand, I have never found anything quite like it at that price. So, it might be worth it. I have found smaller cubby storage at Organized Living, but they're not around anymore. I just moved one into our family room that I had but it only has 6 cubbies.

I really like bin storage like they have at Land of Nod and Company Store. Admittedly, they cost a lot more but they hold a lot.

Holli

jasabo Guest

Just wanted to say that we have those same baskets and yes, they're from Ikea. They have 3 sizes - a bigger one, that size, and a smaller size. We use the 2 larger sizes in our Expedit shelf in our playroom.

>Are the baskets in the outer shelves from IKEA as well or
    >elsewhere?
    >
    >thanks
    >~Tondi

Target sells something similar in their Housewares section, brand Closetmaid, that has 9 cubes and is often on sale for $39.99. You can buy the Closetmaid Cubical canvas bins that fit perfectly for $5.99 regular price, or a swinging door for the same price.

The downside to me is that shelves come in only two colors, white and light maple. We want something darker. They are also shallower, maybe 11 or 13 inches, whereas the Expedit one is 15 inches deep. I haven't measured our toys, but I think some of them need the greater depth. The IKEA Expedit shelves also come in arious heights (something like 31 inches, 58 inches, and 72 inches).

Also, to compare apples to apples, you would need two or possibly three of the Target shelves to equal the capacity of the IKEA one.

Also at Target, I have bought some bookcases from their Thomasville line that are more decorative and deeper than most. The canvas bins from Bed Bath and Beyond that someone posted about above are a nice fit for the depth. It comes in a 2 shelf, 4 shelf and 5 shelf, and comes in medium brown butternut and lighter natural pine. See http://www.target.com/gp/detail.html...sin=B0001K0RHU

Check out all the bookcases on target.com. There were quite a few that might work for you, although many of them were quite expensive for what they are. Here's another link for toddler storage furniture:
    http://www.target.com/gp/browse.html...8&node=3073811

I am also a big fan of Sauder furniture for casual furniture, like toy shelves, although I have yet to buy any. They call bookcases "libraries." Their retail website is www.afo.com, had great photos and dimensions, will calculate a price and shipping for you. If you request a catalog, it will come with a sticker and code for half of shipping, good for two or three months.
    Advice and commentary on living overseas

DD1 15, DD2 12, and DS 9

inmypjs is offline Sapphire level (2000+ posts)

Thank you for these links to Target. I have looked in stores but not online, and they seem to have a lot more selection! We recently learned that my mom will be near an IKEA soon, and she's agreed to bring back the Expedit shelves for us! Yippee! I still may get a smaller bookcase like the Target one for DS's room though.

I do have a quick question for the Expedit owners - what size of Branas baskets fit? I couldn't quite determine this on the web site and I want to be sure to give my mom detailed instructions. We're also going to pick up some Lekman boxes - agreed they could be cuter but I really like the clear.

dr mom is offline Platinum level (1000+ posts)

The pic above shows ours with the 12x13x6" size BRANAS ($7.99), which is a perfect fit. They only fit into the cubbies one way, the cubbies are about 13" square and the baskets are actually 13 3/4" in the long dimension.

The LEKMAN boxes are 13x14x13" which is a very snug fit. They slide in and out, and DS can easily pull them out himself, but he has more difficulty replacing them if he pulls them all the way out of the cubby.
    Cindy, Mommy to DS 2/04 and DS 2/08

Default possible cheap bin solution

Ok, I have replied several times to my own question, but I am posting to help anyone else who may be reading. At Walmart today, I saw some nice white plastic bins that might fit well in the Expedit sheles. It's brand Sterilite, sturdy white plastic with small holes cut all over it, and a small gray handle.

Umm... I was going to provide dimensions, but I am staring at my bin now and realizing I bought the wrong one. DD2 must have really been distracting me.

Anyway, here is the complete line plus photos:
    http://www.sterilite.com/Category.ht...ctCategory=141

I think items 1626 and 1628 would fit Expedit, cost $2 and $4 at Walmart. Item 1628 is deeper and is the one I would choose first.

I am also wondering if you could buy that new Kryon spray paint and paint the face of the bins whatever color you want.
    Advice and commentary on living overseas

DD1 15, DD2 12, and DS 9

Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 ... LastLast