Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 LastLast
    kcimato is offline Platinum level (1000+ posts)

Default RE: possible cheap bin solution

The Kryon paint for plastic works very well. We had 2 plastic Adirondack chairs that were about 15 years old and faded beyond belief. I spayed them with this paint and they look like new.

jess_g is offline Sapphire level (2000+ posts)

Default RE: Anyone use IKEA Expedit shelves to store toys?

After reading all these posts, I want one too! But I have measured before and the big one takes up way too much wall space for us so I think we will be getting the smaller one. Now I am dying to goto Ikea and check them out.

Will all these great bins that people are posting fit in the smaller Expedit shelves too? Are the cubbies the same size? I might just get the canvas ones from Target to fit into the cubbies on the bottem and then keep the top ones for books and such.

Thanks,

Jessica.

Ceepa is offline Diamond level (5000+ posts)

Default RE: possible cheap bin solution

They also carry these at Target (sometimes in a 2-pack). We have them all over to hold toys, books, etc. They're sturdy and easy to move around.

They also come in brighter colors depending on the season. At hte start of summer Target had them in blue and lime green combinations. But they seem to carry the white/grey ones yearround.

-Ceepa

Yes, the cubbies are the same size. That is just their number is smaller.
    HTH
    Marina, mom to sweet baby Daniel (02/01/2006)

We finally decided to buy an Expedit shelving system for our basement--have PB Cameron upstairs. It was expensive and scratched easily.

So, now for baskets/totes.

I read all the posts--looks like the ones Ikea sells will fill the space best. But they are pricey and add no color to speak of.

I found some fabric totes by Closetmaid at Lowes for $5.99 each. The dimensions listed are: 11 H x 10 1/2 W by 10 1/2 deep. That seems like it will waste quite a bit of space, don't you think? Is that a lot smaller than the ones sold at Target? Our target didn't have any in stock today--you have to order 6 on line (of the same color) for $39.99. I wanted to mix up the colors.

Thanks!

ETA: I think that the ones from Target and the ones from Lowes are actually the same. In one of the Target reviews, someone said that Target reported the size worng, and the size is actually the same as the Lowes. They look alike, too. I can get singles at Lowes, which is nice. I could use the Target color blue, but they only have them in 6 packs. Oh well!
    Lisa
    Mama to Jack (4/20/01)
    and Joshua (11/16/03)

kayte is offline Sapphire level (2000+ posts)

We have the Target cubes too--they work great. I made tags for the handles that have a picture of the toys inside.

inmypjs is offline Sapphire level (2000+ posts)

We have Expedit in our basement and love it!

We ended up doing a combo of IKEA branas baskets and white Sterlite (#6128) baskets from Walmart. They are about 10 inches high, 13 wide, and 16 deep. They are a great fit and really maximize the space. They are white so don't help much with color, but I think they could be spray painted. At $3 each you really can't go wrong! They are also very durable and easy for my son to take out and put back in.

I think your biggest waste of space with the Lowes ones would be the depth. I think I know the Target ones you're talking about. I had some at one point and returned them because I thought they were too small. If I remember correctly they were 11 or 12 inches square.

Good luck! I'm sure whatever you choose you will love the Expedit shelf.

Nevermind I'm a dork and read 21" as 12". Why can't Ikea make things all the same dimensions?
    Mom to two sweet girls: Defne 4/01 and Deniz 2/06

For those with the Expedit shelves, where do you store puzzles? I am still on the fence about ordering these since I have to pay such a big shipping charge, and right now, my puzzles are waaaaay to wide for the Target cubes -- I know the Expedit shelves are wider, but probably not by much. My playroom has limited space, so I am trying to figure out if I need to get a small Expedit unit, and then a traditional bookcase for things that need to lie flat ....

Have you looked at the IKEA Trofast series? Kind of a similar idea to the Expedit shelves, but the bins seem to work really well for toys. I've seen them at a playdate, and they had wooden peg puzzles stored flat in the bins (the standard ones, not the huge oversize ones that I see occasionally) I was looking at these for my sons room, it seemed to make keeping like toys together easy, easy to get them out and use, and easy to clean up. The bins slide in and out of the grooves.

Good luck, and if you do find something that works for the Expedit let me know, I have the same storage problems!

Lucy & ds 8/04

Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 LastLast