Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Default Wooden Outdoor Playhouses... Are they worth it???

I have searched pretty hard in the archived threads and have found links on where to buy and what to buy but nothing about should you buy them. The price differences are really big. You can get a pretty nice Step 2 from anywhere from $200-$400 then it is a huge jump to wooden playhouses. Are they worth it? I am looking at the $900 to $1200 range. We live in Texas so we wouldn't be using it that much in the hot summer (late June - Mid Sept) but, we wouldn't be using the Step 2 in the summer either. Also the cheaper wooden ones have the biggest windows which would be better for our climate. I really think Madeline would love it, I can even see us putting plexiglass in the working windows so rain couldn't come in. DH can put it together, he built her Gorilla Swingset last year all by himself. I just really get soft hearted, I can see me cooking, watching Maddie and Emmy in their little playhouse, I get all teary eyed...
    So what do you think. To Wooden Playhoue or Not to Wooden Playhouse?

Jane
    Madeline and Emily's Mom
    1/20/03 11/29/05

Tondi G is offline Red Diamond level (10,000+ posts)

Default RE: Wooden Outdoor Playhouses... Are they worth it???

I love those but I think I like these a little better...
    http://betterplayhouses.com/pine/

They have more windows which I think will be better for our climate...

But I also had you link saved already. I just love them all...

Jane
    Madeline and Emily's Mom
    1/20/03 11/29/05

I have to say that I think those are absolutely beautiful. And your girls are young enough to get quite a few years' use out of them. I remember that a friend of mine had a great wooden playhouse, and I LOVED it - we spent many, many hours in there.

I do think the experience is quite different from what you get in the plastic houses - not to mention that you're not buying another plastic monstrosity that will take 30,000 years to degrade in a landfill, or whatever (and we have a Little Tykes plastic playhouse, so I'm guilty of that).

If you can afford it, I say go for it. It's a wonderful way to make memories. :)

deannanb is offline Platinum level (1000+ posts)

How about a wooden swing set (if you don't have one) My DH bought a wooden set for DS1 when he was 5 - he is 11 now. The company he bought it from is out of business, but similar to Rainbow quality. It has a sandbox underneath the fort - a ladder, slide, and cover. I'm sure if it were "properly" treated every few years it would look GREAT. But overall it is is really good condition. We are actually thinking about adding swings and whatnot onto the fort. We currently have a metal set next to the wooden one.

DS2 loves the fort.... he loves to climb up and down the ladder.

We usually play early in the morning - or in the evening when it is "cooler"

We live in Dallas.... so I understand the weather issue.
    Deanna
    my three sons
    8/95, 10/04 and 6/08

We got a wonderful Gorilla Swingset last year for Christmas/Birthday from the grandparents. We love it... We are the only ones in the neighborhood who have one so actually everyone loves it...

Jane
    Madeline and Emily's Mom
    1/20/03 11/29/05

I keep looking and we are probably going to try and swing it... We may do a "from all the grandparents for X-Mas and B-Day... We may actually throw poor Emmy on the card and get a nicer one... Emmy won't care this year anyway...

Jane
    Madeline and Emily's Mom
    1/20/03 11/29/05

vikivoly Guest

I don't think they are worth it. I really wanted to get one for my girls and even looked into the possibility of having my Dad build one to save on cost. We have a Rainbow Playset and they play in the house part of that so much more than they do their Step 2 house. I'm glad we saved our money.

How much are these playhouses? They are really cute!
    Kim

This is the main page:
    http://betterplayhouses.com/
    When you click on each of the four groups it takes you to their own page and then click on each individual house and it gives prices. Don't forget to add shipping and also some add floor kits and also porch kits. I am just in love with them and the more I look the more I will probably get one...
    Enjoy shopping...

Jane
    Madeline and Emily's Mom
    1/20/03 11/29/05

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast