Default help! Need a baby shower gift idea!

So sorry to throw such a general idea out there. You'd think that, after having a kid yourself, you'd know the perfect baby shower gift ideas. But I totally forgot the little things I wished I had right after giving birth!

All that's left on my friend's registry are little things here and there - i.e. burp cloths. She's a first-time mom, so I'd like to get something special for her. EDD is late november.

I'll be sending the gift too, so anything easily found on websites that may also have free shipping would be nice too :)

Thanks!
    selena

Default RE: help! Need a baby shower gift idea!

A new baby survival kit would be a wonderful gift. I put together all the little things that I couldn't live without those first few weeks. Straws so I could drink while nursing, pacis, a small bottle of formula just in case of emergencies, a Miracle Blanket, The Happiest Baby on the Block book, a book light for all those middle of the night diaper changes (clipped onto the changing table so I didn't have to turn on the lights).

The other idea would be a gift certificate for Super Suppers or other dinner prep place. We did this before the arrival of our little one so we would have healthy meals ready to go.

SnuggleBuggles is offline Black Diamond level (25,000+ posts)

I do something very similair to the pp. I usually get a present for baby but then I get this stuff for mom. My kit calls for:

night light, water bottle with a straw, non perishable snacks (crackers, raisins), blank notebook/ journal, pen, maybe some extra batteries for the baby gadgets (swings...), and then I buy the collection of short chick lit stories called "Girls' Night In." Oh, and a bottle of bubble bath. :) If only there was something you could buy so they could pee while baby is sleeping on their lap and they are afraid to get up- that would come in handy!

Personally, I would stay away from formula because if she is bf'ing that one emergency bottle may be too tempting and before she knows it one bottle turns into 2 etc and then she is having issues with supply since baby isn't stimulating milk supply- it's just a slippery slope. If she is planning to bf and is committed to it it may be handier to offer name and phone number of a mom who successfully bf that she can call anytime with questions or just for support. You could also provide contact info for an LC or nursing mothers' group. That's just my take on it.

For baby, I usually do a theme present like a bath tub filled with a hooded towel, washcloths, some natural lotions and soaps and a bath toy. I usually lean practical. If you can't find anything good left on the registry there is no shame in buying a gift card for all the things they will need later.

You could buy some of the things baby will need later like:

-things for eating solids (bowls, sippy cups, bibs, spoons, maybe a baby food cookbook, and a portable booster seat).

-A Floppy Seat shopping cart cover

-safety items like outlet covers

-a library of books. For baby's books we loved the "Mama, Mama/ Papa, Papa" flip book, "Goodnight Moon," touch and feel books, any books with close ups of baby's faces, "Counting Kisses." You can also add to that the great resource "Baby Play" by Gymboree- it is filled with great activities to do with baby since sometimes you are sitting there wondering what you should be doing with them when they are awake. :) Add on a helpful resource like the AAP's "Caring for your Baby and Young Child" (Or I personally loved "The Baby Book" by Dr. Sears for it's sleep, solids and illness info). You can get some book ends or other book themed go together. The book "On the Day You were Born" is a good one to send too.

Those are my ideas. HTH,
    Beth

CiderLogan is offline Platinum level (1000+ posts)

Do you know the sex/name? I love giving monogrammed items like burp cloths and bibs (or just the name of the child rather than a monogram).

Jenny
    Julia, 8/03
    Clara, 5/06

Wow! Thanks for all these ideas, everyone. it is a boy, but i don't know the name. I had been thinking about getting feeding items, but you know how it is with your first -- you want as many cutesy newborn things as possible b/c you think you have all the time in the world before they actually do grown-up things, like eating solids.

if you have any more suggestions, keep em coming!

SnuggleBuggles is offline Black Diamond level (25,000+ posts)

yeah, only like 1 person bought us anything for use beyond the first 3 months. But, the 2 people that bought size 9-12 month clothes and the ones that bought feeding stuff got remembered almost more than the others. :) They may not *want* cutesy newborn stuff. I say go with what you would want and then add on some little cute things- best of both. :)

Beth

I just had a shower and one of the cutest things I received were burp cloths for every day of the week. My friend bought a regular package of burp cloths and sewed ribbon trim on each one and them had them embroidered for each day of the week. Each cloth has a different ribbon and the embroidery matches a color of the ribbon. They are adorable!

Sillygirl is offline Sapphire level (2000+ posts)

Bumkins bibs. They're the best. She'll get tons of stuff for early use, but solids come faster than you realize, and she'll love you forever for introducing her to Bumkins.
    Katie, Mom to two boys
    Retraining my dopamine circuits thanks to David Kessler, MD.
    Jonathan: Halloween 2004
    Alex: A smidge past Groundhog Day 2007

dules Guest

You've got some great suggestions! I'd consider adding, if she lives someplace cold (or has a drafty house) a wipes warmer. Ours was just a run of the mill one, around $15 maybe, but for those first cold months (DD was born 11/28) it was GREAT. Nothing like a freezing cold wipe to wake a just fed, just pooped newborn at 3AM. ;)

Also, if she's BFing, I second the snacks (I never made time to eat in the first month or so), water bottle and Soothies for the sore nipples.

Good luck!

Mary

P.S. I so wish I had known about miracle blankets and swaddle me's when DD was born!

I was just thinking about what to get my SIL for her shower gift. A few things cae to mind but two favorites at my house right now are the "Baby Signing Time" DVDs bought on Ebay for $50. and the Ergo backpack bought from the company for about $90. these two things get used almost constantly!!!!!
    Sarah