Default Anyone built a swingset on a sloping yard?

Has anyone built a swingset on a sloping yard? Was it hard to build and has the swingset stayed sturdy over time? I assume that I will have to have a wooden swingset because the ends will have to be different lengths to accomodate the slope.

I want a very simple swingset with 2 or 3 swings and a slide or fireman's pole. I also want one unusual item, which is a flexible rope or rubber bridge connecting the swingset to a nearby tree.

The only spot in our yard that is somewhat flat is too small for a swingset, and the next logical place for a swingset has a medium slope. I'm not sure how to quantify it, but if flat ground has a zero degree drop and a sheer cliff has a 90 degree drop, I'd say our yard has a 20 or 30 degree drop.

I am no builder, but my thoughts on how to compensate for this are: 1) make sure the center beam is level 2) make sure the A frame supports on end end are custom cut (longer on the downhill end, for instance) and 3) make use of the slope by putting the slide or fireman's pole on the longer side.

Any thoughts or experience?
    Advice and commentary on living overseas

DD1 15, DD2 12, and DS 9

Default RE: Anyone built a swingset on a sloping yard?

We didn't build it (we just aren't handy AT ALL), but one of the main reasons we ended up with a Rainbow set was because of our uneven/sloping yard. Many of the places we went said we were first have to level the yard in order to install a swingset and that just wasn't feasible.

We went with the A-frame instead of the rectangular type with a sandbox below for that very reason. Ours has an extended ramp and an extended size of the A-frame to compensate for the slope (which didn't end up being quite enough, so the installer placed extra pieces of wood underneath the ramp—I don't think that is the best idea, but it's held up very well, although it's only been about 6 months).

This is basically what we have: http://www.rainbowplay.com/PlaySyste...ries/Index.cfm

They made sure the fort and the center beam were level by making the ramp and beam on one side longer on the downhill side. The slide goes off off the far side (where there wasn't a slope). I'm not sure you want the slide going downhill and if you can get it going sideways, that might be the better option. Depends how much space you have beyond that though.

Not sure if that helped? If there's anything else I can tell you, let me know. It's definitely doable on a sloped yard. Particularly with what you are describing.

Debbie
    http://b2.lilypie.com/BI7Tm5.png

zuzu is offline Sapphire level (2000+ posts)

Default RE: Anyone built a swingset on a sloping yard?

We have the same Rainbow set posted above. The part of the yard where we put our set slopes only slightly at one end, but some of the Rainbow sets we looked at were quite accommodating to even more severely sloped yards. If you have a showroom in your area, you may want to speak to them about it. Our dealer sent out someone (for free) to take a look at our spot to see which sets would be possible in our space. Even if you don't go with them, they may have some ideas/advice.

Melissa, mom to Sarah (5/03)