Sillygirl is offline Sapphire level (2000+ posts)

Default Sesame Street OLD SCHOOL on DVD! No Elmo!

I am SO excited! (Have I put in enough exclamation points?)

Jonathan doesn't watch TV yet, but once he's two I wouldn't mind so much. I think there's good data that quality shows can improve problem solving skills and teach things like the alphabet. My issue has always been how darn commercial even the PBS shows are. They seem to be basically structured to sell Dora toys, Elmo dolls, and all that other junk.

CTW finally released some of the old Sesame Street shows from back when I was a kid. The marketing is waaay less intrusive and this is pre-Elmo so the darn squeaky red devil will have to wait a while longer before infiltrating my son's head.

I was super-excited for the Electric Company, and the success of that DVD must have convinced CTW to go forward with this release - people have been begging for it for years. You can see Mr. Hooper! And now there's a show I think will be educational and fun for Jonathan and I don't have to feel bombarded with toy requests whenever we're out.

Check it out!
    http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B00...316916?ie=UTF8
    Katie, Mom to two boys
    Retraining my dopamine circuits thanks to David Kessler, MD.
    Jonathan: Halloween 2004
    Alex: A smidge past Groundhog Day 2007

deannanb is offline Platinum level (1000+ posts)

Default RE: Sesame Street OLD SCHOOL on DVD! No Elmo!

Thank you for sharing!

I"m sooooooo tired of Elmo's World.... la la la la la... Elmo's World.

I'm off to see if the library has copies of them.... then I can decide which one(s) to buy.

Deanna
    my three sons
    8/95, 10/04 and 6/08

It says it's not being released until October 26, so a brand-new thing. Very exciting though! It may be a late b-day gift for myself. Of course I will share it with DS.

A friend gave us the 25th anniversary DVD of Sesame Street and although it does have Elmo in it between segments, the rest (excluding the first song) is all the classic stuff I remember! I loved it. Some of it I didn't even realize I remembered (the king with seven sons).

Debbie
    http://b2.lilypie.com/BI7Tm5.png

I saw something about this the other day, and I"m pretty pleased, too. I like Sesame Street better than most kids' programming, even now, but I'll be relieved to be rid of Elmo for a while. Of course, my DDs love him (I don't know why kids are so attracted to the most ANNOYING character on the show).

Nice way to reminisce! :)

But I don't know if this will help you escape toy requests. There's still plenty of Sesame Street merchandise around that's not Elmo-related. Sigh.