Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3 LastLast
    stefani is offline Platinum level (1000+ posts)

Default RE: A kitchen set is Ok for a boy, right??

My DS has loved playing with the kitchen set at his school since he was 1 year old (now he is 3). He still loves it now, too. He also loves "helping" Daddy and Grammy cook (Mommy doesn't cook much!).

I would have bought him one if we have the space :-)

Hope you get it!
    Stefani

Mommy to DS born 5 Sep 03

willow33 is offline Sapphire level (2000+ posts)

We are planning on buying a wooden kitchen set for our boys for Xmas too. Definitely suitable for boys!!
    ~H~

Mom to 3 sweet kids
    2003 ~ 2005 ~ 2009

"A kitchen set is Ok for a boy, right??"

Hell yes, of course it is. We bought my son his last Christmas and he freakin' loves it! Gets tons of play and makes him really happy. And it is cute to watch him cook.

What? Do guys not eat unless a pretty little lady cooks it for them? Please.

Tell your husband to tell the "older men" that you guys bought it so your son could pretend to reheat pizza, make chilli, and drink beer. ;)

hudsonam is offline Platinum level (1000+ posts)

LOL! I'm happy to say we got the kitchen! I will be picking it up next week. :) I will have to remind him of all the male chefs on the Food Network.

DrSally is offline Pink Diamond level (15,000+ posts)

Glad you picked one up, I plan on getting one for Ds when I see one on CL too (missed the last one). I think go with their interests, not gender stereotypes. I want to raise a son (and daughter) who don't feel restricted by these things (as much as possible). Teaching about cooking is a great skill for anyone to have.
    Sally

My Joyful DS
    My Lovely DD

Please excuse the typos. Getting used to a virtual keyboard

ErinMC is offline Platinum level (1000+ posts)

Default YES!

Our DS loves his kitchen, and so do his friends (boys and girls) that come over. He especially likes to "cook" when I'm making dinner. :-)

Erin

Mom to Chase 2/2004 and Logan 5/2006

kijip is offline Pink Diamond level (15,000+ posts)

No absolutely not. Men should not learn to model actions that result in feeding people. We should just let them all single men without mothers starve or something.

Well, you all know I am kidding. :P

Boils down to this: Having a toy kitchen will not make a boy gay. There is nothing you can do to make your child gay or straight. Fear of "effeminate" toys for boys generally boils down to fear of the boy being gay.
    Katie, mama to a pair of boys.

Late to the party but definitely YES!!!

DS received one last year for Christmas at 3.5 yrs old. That is what he wanted. Santa looked slightly puzzled when DS asked him for it. When I asked him what he wanted for Christmas this year, he said "Mommy, I really need a new spatula". :)
    -Melissa
    Mom to M (2002) & M (2014)

brittone2 is offline Blue Diamond level (20,000+ posts)

A resounding yes!!!

My DS got his when he was 15 months or so and started by just opening/closing cabinets, turning knobs, etc. By 18 months he was doing some pretend play with it, that continued to expand as months went on. At 2.5, it is hands-down his most played with toy, and he really has expanded his play with it now. I *love* when he narrates as he's cooking, makes me things, and I can really see his brain working :) He plays with it more than his train table, which he also enjoys. He loves helping in the "real" kitchen too FWIW.

Definitely a great toy to have :)
    Mama to DS-2004
    DD-2006
    and a new addition-ds born march 2010

DS, 2.5 yrs old.

We don't have one (or a cash register, play food, play shopping cart, etc etc) but mainly because we do not have the appropriate room and also because I hate staring at so many toys. If we had (say) a playroom, it would likely be on my list, I suspect.

ETA. We do have an IKEA stool which enables him to use my real kitchen as a playground :)

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3 LastLast