Default WWYD ToysRUs Gift card

I have around $100-140 in gift cards for DS (12 months old) but we are pretty stocked. My friend owned a day care and we have a lot of toys from her (and toy storage). I tend to get hand me down clothes and we have a lot of books. What should I get? I was thinking maybe a vtech or should I just get disney movies. My friend will have a brio train for him when he is a little older and godfather will definately cover that aspect. Would like to get things that will last him for a while or he will grow into.
    Thanks,
    Shannon

neeter is offline Platinum level (1000+ posts)

Default RE: WWYD ToysRUs Gift card

I would hold onto it and use it later, or for birthday party gifts. Pretty soon there will be a birthday party every other week, it seems!

brittone2 is offline Blue Diamond level (20,000+ posts)

We have been in a similar situation. I just used an old BRU gift card from when DS was young to buy some new things for the baby.

I've picked up a few TRU items including board games, play doh, some consumable art supplies, and a few birthday gifts for family members with the remaining balance. You could get things to put away for the future like various family board games, kwim?

Oh, I also found a wetsuit there for my DS which we use at our local (indoor) pool, and it was only $20 for a neoprene style one, which is a decent deal.

We aren't big into the selection TRU offers and the baby items I need are mostly non-mainstream things at this point, so I can't buy them at TRU or BRU.

How are you for outdoor toys? Balls, sidewalk chalk, bubbles? Basketball hoop? Sandbox? Swing set? We picked up a metal one (would like wood but wanted to start smaller) this past spring for $250ish. A toddler swing to hang from a tree or use w/ a swingset?

Some of the little consumable items like sidewalk chalk, bubbles, playdoh, art supplies, paper, finger paints, etc. would be fun things to hide away (if you have the storage) for stocking stuffers or things to get out next summer.

Mama to DS-2004
    DD-2006
    and a new addition-ds born march 2010

calv is offline Ruby level (4000+ posts)

there is always diapers you can get. :) Boring but a need for the most part unless you use cloth diapers.

shburks is offline Platinum level (1000+ posts)

How about holding onto it until you're ready for some larger-ticket items...tricycle, helmet, potty chair, easel, etc.

JBaxter is offline Pink Diamond level (15,000+ posts)

I'd vote for holding on to them IF they dont expire. I know some gift cards are only good for 1 yr. Check that!
    Jeana, Momma to 4 fantastic sons

Everything happens for a reason, sometimes the reason is you're stupid and make bad decisions

brittone2 is offline Blue Diamond level (20,000+ posts)

Or some deduct a monthly fee for every month you don't use it past a year (or sometimes 2 years). Ick.

Definitely check on the dates.

Mama to DS-2004
    DD-2006
    and a new addition-ds born march 2010

Even if there is no expiration or fee deducted, there is always the possibility that any company can go into bankruptcy. When that happens, gift cards or merchandise credits may not be honored and you would have no recourse. I always try to use GCs or credits asap even if I'm buying well ahead.

thanks for the suggestions. I'll check to see if they expire. I was kind of afraid they do. 1 was left over from baby shower returns but I have used it a few times since then. I have a pool so I don't want outdoor stuff and my friend is giving me a slide climbing thing I can put in or outside. The toys rus is @30 minutes away.
    Can you use the cards online? Saving it for other bday gifts sounds like a good idea.
    I would definatly do diapers but I had gift cards for CVS when they did their B1G1 so I'm stocked for at least 2-3 more months.
    If only this was the only problem I had but that would be for the bitching post.
    Thanks,
    Shannon