Default Playstands? Does anyone know more about these? pic...

I came across this when I was looking for wood kitchens and toys and it seems like a really nice idea for imaginary play, but the price is quite a bit for what basically looks like two wood shelves. Does anyone know more about these? I think this is related to Waldorf, but I don't know alot about it.

Thanks!

http://www.windsorpeak.com/dc/user_files/36170.jpg

Default RE: Playstands? Does anyone know more about these? pic...

I'm curious about them too - looks like a good thing for my dad to make for DD. :) I hear a lot about them on Hyena Cart but don't know much personally. I think Beth (brittone2) posted about them in the gift thread, hopefully she'll chime in!

Allison
    Mama to DD 11/05

Raidra is offline Sapphire level (2000+ posts)

My husband is making a set for my boys for Xmas. He hasn't started yet, but he did buy the wood for both playstands, and it only cost a little over $40. It doesn't seem difficult at all.

You can find plans for them at www.waldorfhomeschoolers.com or in the book Toymaking With Children. You can also purchase plans online. If you're looking for more info, you can also try the forums at MDC, there's a Toymaking forum in the Crafts section. You can also make them with two shelves if you want (which is what we'll be doing).

I'm very excited to give the boys their playstands. Not only can they be used for toy storage, but they can be theaters, kitchens, stores, whatever they can imagine, really. We're going to set them up next to the Xmas tree, and put a doll cradle, high chair, stroller, and two dolls underneath.

brittone2 is offline Blue Diamond level (20,000+ posts)

Yep, just a really cool open-ended play item. We just bought the materials too and it wasn't very expensive. My DH is pretty handy but I think anyone with some basic wood-working experience could make them. As Raidra said, there are free plans available online or in several different waldorf books. Some people prefer one shelf versions, some the two shelf versions, etc.

They are kind of pricey, with materials, plus time, plus shipping, I don't think people who sell them can sell them inexpensively, kwim? It isn't a mass produced item. But if you can make them yourself, certainly they are way more affordable, which is the good news :)

Playstands are supposedly one of the most popular play items in a typical Waldorf preschool/kindergarden type of program. Kids tend to gravitate toward them. We have a local Waldorf school that sells them in their school store, and the ones they carry are gorgeous in person.

Mama to DS-2004
    DD-2006
    and a new addition-ds born march 2010

holliam Guest

Beth, where are you putting yours? I love them but I cannot figure out where to put one. Can we just come play with yours? :P

Holli

Default Another question...

So how big are these approximately? DH and I are trying to figure out if we have space for it and have differing opinions on it's rough dimensions. :)

Allison
    Mama to DD 11/05

If we ever have a bigger house these are on the top of my list. :-)

Caroline
    Mama to Eleanor Katherine 8.2.04
    and baby sister arrivng 2.2007

tarynsmum is offline Platinum level (1000+ posts)

That's what I'm thinking. If we ever get to move into our house (that will take 12 years to remodel, sigh), This is definitely going into our playroom.

But alas, by then DD and future DCs will probably be in collge...
    Heather, mommy to Taryn, January 16, 2006. And Baby Asher! Born February 25, 2009.

Certified Child Passenger Safety Technician in Pittsburgh PA.

Interested in wearing your baby in the Pittsburgh Area? Check out Pittsburgh Babywearers at www.pittsburghbabywearers.com!

Yes, they seem like a really great open-ended play item which I love, but we have super tight space too, so I guess it won't work for us... I was just really interested in the concept.

brittone2 is offline Blue Diamond level (20,000+ posts)

Yeah...space is an issue LOL. We may relocate the train table and put them where it currently is (behind our couch). DH wants to just clear out all the furniture and make it one giant playroom since we never seem to have time to sit down on the couches anyway LOL.

You can come play anytime ;)

Mama to DS-2004
    DD-2006
    and a new addition-ds born march 2010