JustMe is offline Diamond level (5000+ posts)

Default What kind of blocks/building stuff for a 4 year old?

I want to buy some blocks or something similar that my 4 year old daughter can build with...legos (what size)? Regular wooden blocks?

What do you recommend?

Robyn
    single mommy to an almost 4 yr old from Guatemala

Default RE: What kind of blocks/building stuff for a 4 year old?

I'm going to get some wedgits and magna tiles. She has legos and wooden blocks, but they both got more action when she was younger. She'll still play with the legos some, but rarely with the blocks. The wedgits and magna tiles seem a little more dynamic, but still open ended.

SnuggleBuggles is offline Black Diamond level (25,000+ posts)

My 4.5 LOVES regular Legos. Not baby sized or anything. We have bucktes of them. He is so creative. They have a Lego table at his school and almost all the boys enjoy playing there.

We also have wooden blocks but the Legos get a lot more play. A nice thing about Legos is that you can throw a handful in a container and take them with you for building during a longer car ride, at a restaurant or anywhere else they might want to sit and play quietly...you can't do that with wooden blocks.

Beth

C99 is offline Diamond level (5000+ posts)

LOVE, LOVE, LOVE Magna-Tiles. DS got a set when he turned 2 and he and my DD fight over them. I bought a second set last year, but I know he's getting a third set for his b-day from his grandparents.

DS, who turns 4 in January, plays with his Duplo legos (mostly this size due to younger kids in the house) and regular wooden blocks (we have alphabet wooden blocks too, but he prefers the standard ones), plus the Magna-Tiles, which are cool because they can be used in 1-D or 3-D.
    Caroline, mama to DS 01/03, DD 05/05, DS 04/07
    http://littleshoulders.blogspot.com
    "Now that you're here, the word of the Lorax seems perfectly clear. UNLESS someone like you cares a whole awful lot, nothing is going to get better. It's not." -- Dr. Seuss

JustMe is offline Diamond level (5000+ posts)

Default Thanks!

Thanks everyone! Off to check this stuff out!

Robyn