Page 1 of 5 1 2 3 ... LastLast
    Bens Momma is offline Platinum level (1000+ posts)

Default Opinions from users of Swiffer on Hardwood floors??

I am going crazy trying to keep my hardwood floors clean/sanitary!! I have 2 DS (ages 1 & 3) and they spend a lot of time playing and crawling around on the floors. We live in an old home with hardwood pine floors. The floors (especially under the diningroom table and kitchen) seem to get filthy and I can't find the time to sponge mop the floor everday! I was thinking that using a Swiffer with the solution for hardwood floors might work for a daily cleaning and then I could do a full moping on the weekends. Wanted opinions from those that have used the Swiffer on hardwood floors....Does it work? Is it expensive for solution, pads, etc?

Thanks for the help!
    Ben & Will's Momma

cstack Guest

Default RE: Opinions from users of Swiffer on Hardwood floors??

I love my Swiffer. I do not mop anymore, just Swiffer dry cloths, Swiffer wet cloths for quickie cleans, and the WetJet for "mopping". I use it on both laminate and hardwood floors and it does a nice job. The solution is like $4 a bottle and lasts for a fair amount of time (I think cost wise, it's no more expensive than the cleaner I'd use with bucket/mop cleaning). Now, the pads are a bit pricier. Sometimes Sam's has a deal where you can buy pads and solution in bulk and that's a little less costly. However, I could never find a mop I loved, or even liked a little bit, so for me it's worth the cost.

Now, what I'm really drooling over is the one that is the dry cloth/vacuum/wet-jet type cleaner all in one.

ellies mom is offline Diamond level (5000+ posts)

I don't like the Swiffer Wet Jet. It always left my floors too streaky. I used to use the wet pads all the time but I stopped for some reason. Usually, I'd just sweep or vacuum daily and then damp mop once a week. I'm not at all germophobic though so I aim for clean-ish rather than sanitary.
    Veronica

Miss Ellie 11/03
    Baby Audrey 4/08

Momof3Labs is offline Pink Diamond level (15,000+ posts)

We have all hardwood throughout our house. For picking up loose stuff, I love the swiffer broom with a microfiber cloth (can find them in the wal-mart auto section) - really gets up the dust and pet hair. We use the swiffer wet jet every week or so for "mopping". Not my favorite, but I haven't found anything that I like better yet.
    Single mom to

DS ("twice exceptional") - September 2002
    DS - February 2006
    DD - July 2009
    DD - July 2009

squimp is offline Diamond level (5000+ posts)

I use a microfiber mop (from Casabella brand at BBB) and a spray bottle of diluted white vinegar. It works really well and doesn't streak. I can throw the microfiber pad/sponge in the wash when I'm done - I have two so I can switch em out. For serious cleanups I do wet mopping with a bucket, but the spray bottle works well for spills and everyday. It is super easy.

The Swiffer wetmops left a residue on both my lino and hardwoods - it took two serious cleanups with the white vinegar to remove the residue. I could also never get good pressure on the floor with the wanky handle of the swiffer wet. My DH hated the Swiffer stuff smell too.

Bens Momma is offline Platinum level (1000+ posts)

Oh I like the idea of using the dry Swiffer to get the hair & loose stuff up and then using the WetJet once/twice a week. I'm definitely NOT a neat freak, I wish I was...I just want to keep the floor relatively sanitary and clean since the boys spend so much time on it :D Can you use the dry cloths on the bottom of the WetJet unit, or do you have to buy a separate one? It sounds like the overall opinion is that the Swiffer WetJet works relatively well. I think I make the switch for awhile and see since I feel like I'm just pushing dirty water around my floor with the sponge mop! If anyone has any other suggestions feel free to let me know!

Thanks for the advice!
    Ben & Will's Momma

s7714 is offline Ruby level (4000+ posts)

I recently switched from the Swiffer Wet Jet to a micofiber mop and vinegar as well. I had been using the Wet Jet for a while (vacuuming first then using the wet jet). I don't think the Wet Jet ever really got the floors that clean, because I could always wipe more dirt off by hand, even after I'd just mopped. I'm not a major clean freak or anything, but that kind of grossed me out. I tried the microfiber mop and vinegar/water solution and the floors are the cleanest they've ever been.

Another reason I switched is because of the reaction everyone in my family always seemed to have when I used the Wet Jet. It always made my DH's throat scratchy and everyone in the family would get incredibly thirsty afterwards.

ETA: I also hated the high pitched whine the Wet Jet made when you were spraying the solution. I never could mop while my DDs were sleeping, because the noise (it wasn't that loud, just high pitched and annoying) would always wake up my older DD.

Jennifer
    Mommy to
    Miss Pure Energy 3/03
    Miss Antsy-Pants 6/05

Our bones may be brittle, but our spirit is unbreakable.
    Osteogenesis Imperfecta www.oif.org

cstack Guest

You have to have the wetjet cloths. They have an absorbent pad in them (reminds me or a really big sanitary napkin) to wick up the solution and little fappy things that catch the yucky stuff.

I talked about 2 diffferent wet pads, too. There are "wet" cloths for the regular Swiffer that are like big baby wipes. Then there's the stuff that goes with the wetjet (solution and cloths)

I was looking at the other posters regarding the vinegar/microfiber cloths. I might try that. I'm thinking I could pick up some microfiber cloths and use some for dry/some for wet with vinegar and just use the regular swiffer with those cloths. Then I could see which one I like better.

Momof3Labs is offline Pink Diamond level (15,000+ posts)

The microfiber cloths I mentioned won't work with the wetjet, just with the basic swiffer broom. We don't like using these cloths wet (too hard to push it across the floor) but might try the microfiber mop idea with the vinegar...
    Single mom to

DS ("twice exceptional") - September 2002
    DS - February 2006
    DD - July 2009
    DD - July 2009

ellies mom is offline Diamond level (5000+ posts)

You can get a microfiber mop at Target along with extra mop heads. I really like how they work. I use vineger to mop also.

I should say that I do like the Dry Swiffer wipes. You still have to pull out the broom but they do a great job on pet hair.
    Veronica

Miss Ellie 11/03
    Baby Audrey 4/08

Page 1 of 5 1 2 3 ... LastLast