Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 ... LastLast
    C99 is offline Diamond level (5000+ posts)

Default RE: Opinions from users of Swiffer on Hardwood floors??

>I'm definitely NOT a neat freak, I wish I was...I just want to
    >keep the floor relatively sanitary and clean since the boys
    >spend so much time on it

It's all relative. I have 2 kids, hardwood floors and vaccuum 3x/week, do a big wash...um...not sure I want to say! :) Like a PP, I use hot water and vinegar. Occasionally I will use Murphy's Oil Soap because I like how it smells, but that is maybe once/year. I tend to not use chemicals in my house if I can avoid them. I figure the dirt is better for them (me, and the environmentment) than whatever they use to make Swiffer Wet Jet.
    Caroline, mama to DS 01/03, DD 05/05, DS 04/07
    http://littleshoulders.blogspot.com
    "Now that you're here, the word of the Lorax seems perfectly clear. UNLESS someone like you cares a whole awful lot, nothing is going to get better. It's not." -- Dr. Seuss

Bens Momma is offline Platinum level (1000+ posts)

sorry double post

Bens Momma is offline Platinum level (1000+ posts)

OK now I'm leaning toward the microfiber and vinegar wash...A couple questions. What's the ratio of vinegar to water mix? The vinegar doesn't seem to harm the finish on your floors? Thanks to all for your feedback and ideas.

Ben & Will's Momma

C99 is offline Diamond level (5000+ posts)

I use about 1/2 and 1/2 - or 1/3 vinegar to 2/3 water. I just kind of eyeball it. People have been using vinegar to scrub floors and clean for years and years - I would doubt that it could damage anything. My hardwood floors are old, so they don't have the kind of finish on them that newer floors do - it's better for my floors that they have as little chemical and as little wetness on them as possible. I use the smallest amount of water possible and usually go over the whole thing w/ a dry rag to soak up extra moisture.

Caroline, mama to DS 01/03, DD 05/05, DS 04/07
    http://littleshoulders.blogspot.com
    "Now that you're here, the word of the Lorax seems perfectly clear. UNLESS someone like you cares a whole awful lot, nothing is going to get better. It's not." -- Dr. Seuss

ellies mom is offline Diamond level (5000+ posts)

I use about about 1 cup vineger to maybe almost a gallon of water. But I don't think you can go wrong.

I know vinegar seems to have a really strong odor but it really disapates quickly.
    Veronica

Miss Ellie 11/03
    Baby Audrey 4/08

neeter is offline Platinum level (1000+ posts)

i have a totally different suggestion (in addition to the mopping part of it). i've found that most of the annoying stuff is crumbs or food that's fallen on the floor. i recently bought a cheap lightweight electric sweeper -- imagine a handheld vac that's attached to a stick. its been a lifesaver. i just use that at the end of the day, and its so much cleaner. its also much better and cleaner than using a broom.

as for the mopping, etc, i just use regular hardwood floor cleaner every 2-3 wks and its fine (or earlier if there's some mess i really need to take care of).

anyway, just a suggestion!!

sdbc Guest

I use microfiber cloths on my regular swiffer. It works well, and I put them in regular wash. I also sometimes spray them with vinegar solution first.
    Sue, mommy to Aurora (Rory) born 5/13/04

ellies mom is offline Diamond level (5000+ posts)

I want one of these. I have it all picked out and everything. I figure it will do a better job than my broom and be easier than dragging out the whole vacuum cleaner which is what I usually do. Now to convince DH, that it really truely is the one thing keeping us from a clean house.
    Veronica

Miss Ellie 11/03
    Baby Audrey 4/08

What brand are you looking at? I just recently discovered that I need one of these too because I am tired of pulling out the broom and dustpan every day. Maybe because my 6 month pregnant belly doesn't want me bending down to sweep up the crumbs....

At Target this weekend I saw a bunch but can't decide if I should go cordless (won't it lose suction quicker) or corded.

neeter is offline Platinum level (1000+ posts)

i have this one:

http://www.lnt.com/product/index.jsp...entPage=family

it's el-cheapo, especially with the 20% coupon. i was considering the more expensive ones, but i like that this one has a small brush -- which is good for going under the kitchen table and around chairs. i also didn't need it to be rechargable, since i have a plug right near the table/chairs (where i use it the most). i store it in my pantry, so its really convenient to pull out (and not have to lug the vacuum cleaner upstairs, which would deter me from cleaning in the first place!)

sofar, so good.

Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 ... LastLast