Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast
    inmypjs is offline Sapphire level (2000+ posts)

Default Earth friendly cleaning products - homemade vs. commercial?

Hi, Oprah had a show recently on going green and helping the environment, and of course she talked about changing from harmful chemical cleaning products to safer, more environmentally friendly ones. I have been using recipes from Clean House Clean Planet for some time now and am wondering how do these stack up to the products by Shaklee, Seventh Generation, Mrs Meyers, Method? These are the main companies she talked about. I mostly use scented vinegar, "Merlin's Magic" spray, and diluted Palmolive for cleaning. Has anyone compared these to the commercial company products? I would also love to know if anyone has tried any of their laundry soap, automatic dishwashing soap, and just general disinfecting products. TIA!

Default RE: Earth friendly cleaning products - homemade vs. commercial?

I placed an order for some Shaklee products a few days ago, so when I get them I'll give you an update!

I got the Basic G and Basic H solutions (and the spray bottles), dish soap and automatic dish detergent.
    Lisa
    Emma 11/02
    Adam 2/07
    Their hands may be small but their feelings are just as big as ours.

inmypjs is offline Sapphire level (2000+ posts)

Great, I would love to hear your feedback!

jvs195 is offline Sapphire level (2000+ posts)

I ordered the Oprah special Shaklee too, will let you know. Hopefully I won't fall in love with it since it seems pricey without the deal. So far I've tried Seventh Generation and was not impressed with the laundry or dishwasher soap (and I bought cases during an amazon promotion so I'm stuck with them and won't use them); I do like Mrs. Meyers counter spray but have not tried others. For laundry I've been using Charlies (from this board recommendations) and recently Dropps (Bzzagent deal).

From what I've read about Shaklee products, you might actually save money. You only use a small amount since it's super-concentrated and then the rest is water you put into the spray bottle. So, apparently, a bottle could last you a long time. I like the idea of mixing my own cleaner from the concentrate, not only will it (hopefully) save money, but also I won't be buying so many plastic bottles.

We'll see, I'm excited to get my order! Right now I use Method cleaners, dishsoap and Clorox wipes for things like the bathroom. We tried Methods HE laundry soap and I didn't like it. So right now we're using ALL Free and Clear.
    Lisa
    Emma 11/02
    Adam 2/07
    Their hands may be small but their feelings are just as big as ours.

Default Method hand soap contains sodium lauryl sulfate

Hello! I just wanted to add that the Method hand soap I bought had Sodium Lauryl Sulfate in it. (Don't know about any of the other brands you mentioned.) As far as I understand, the process to make this chemical releases a cancer-causing substance, so I've eliminated all Sodium Lauryl/Laureth Sulfate from my house (and products with Ammonium Lauryl Sulfate too.

FTI...this ingredient is in Johnson's head-to-toe body wash and many other children's and adult's bath products and cleaning products.

So just because Method products may be biodegradable, they may not necessarily be safe for your family or the enviornment.

Good for you on wanting to go green! It feels really good knowing you are protecting yourself and the enviornment :)

MamaMolly is offline Red Diamond level (10,000+ posts)

Maybe try and Freecycle the soap? I'm always pleasantly suprised by what gets taken. Good luck!

The queen of clean who doesn't have an environmental spin (she uses lots of stuff I won't, like gasoline) uses vinegar for almost everything and so do I. It's cheap and if my son accidently gets some in his mouth the only bad thing will be his breath for a little while :) For laundry detergent I use Country Save and I love it. It leaves no residue at all and my clothes smells so fresh. I also dry most of my clothes on a line when the weather allows which makes the clothes last longer and saves a TON of energy (dryers are the worst) In bad weather I use those wooden drying racks you get at Target for like $10. Hey if your looking for more good you can do go to the diapering board and learn about cding. I hve been cding for 2 years now and will continue to do it when ds#2 comes in July :)
    Be Green!!!!
    Sarah

I love Seventh Gen. unscented all purpose cleaner and dishsoap. I didn't care for the laundry soap, it's not tough enough for food stains.

I also love the Seventh Gen. diapers!

Method products just became available in my area and I am currently using the dishsoap and all purpose cleaner. It's too fragranced for me, I won't repurchase and will go back to Seventh Gen. when we run out.

I also just use vinegar/water on glass and dishsoap/water for cleaning floors and every other surface. The only place I just can't go all green is the bathroom. I just can't! I have to bleach it every so often to make myself feel better.

eta: Also, in place of fabric softener/dryer sheets I use vinegar in the rinse cycle, and dryer balls or those fabric static sheets in the dryer.

danagee is offline Platinum level (1000+ posts)

I tried Wave dishwasher detergent and it was not effective cleaning the dishes. So frustrating to have to hand-scrub after a cycle. Also, it left a white residue on some plastic sippy cup lids.

!!!!!!!!ETA - Okay, I gave Wave one last try. I used even half the amount I used before (which was already half the amount of Cascade I used to use) and it worked wonderfully! Absolutely none of the white residue I had before, Yeah!!

Dana
    ds 8/04 * dd 1/06

Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast